Tangential tool holder

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
Tangential tool holder

Man..... I hope I spelled that right. I seen and read a lot of opinions and information about how great these tool holders are, so I thought I would make one. I stole ....err....uhm....borrowed this idea from a picture I saw on the web when I Googled "tangential tool holder images". I found a 5" long by 1" square piece of steel in my scrap box ...I mean inventory department that looked like it would suffice.

tangential tool holder 1.jpg This is where all those saw upgrades pay off. I had to get creative to saw away the excess part of the block.

tangential tool holder.jpg I set the piece in my tilting mill vise and milled a 5/16" slot on a 12 degree angle back and a 12 degree angle to the right. This should set the tool bit at the proper angles.

tangential tool holder 7.jpg This view shows the tool bit setting in place and the angle.
tangential tool holder 6.jpg I sharpened the tool bit to the recommended 30 degree angle. I will make a sharpening jig also.
tangentail tool holder 8.jpg All that is left to do is make the clamp to hold the tool. I will do that tomorrow. It only took about an hour and a half to get this far, so it is an easy project.

Mark Frazier

tangential tool holder 1.jpg tangential tool holder.jpg tangential tool holder 7.jpg tangential tool holder 6.jpg tangentail tool holder 8.jpg

Looks good Mark and very quick work! Makes sense to cut off any excess with the saw, saves time and gives more useful bits of scrap :) It'll be interesting to hear what you think once you've had some time using it.

Looks good Mark and very quick work! Makes sense to cut off any excess with the saw, saves time and gives more useful bits of scrap :) It'll be interesting to hear what you think once you've had some time using it.

If it works as good as everyone says, I'm sure I will like it. The tool is so much easier to grind .... one angle! It seems to make better use of the square lathe bit also.

Mark frazier :rubbinghands:

I've had one of these on my to do list for a while now. Bumping it to the top!

I recently built a right left and center Tangential holders. The center was made with a round toolbit and no side tilt. I find the round bit gives the best finish, the square bits are good, bigger cuts and a nice finish but you have to round the tip or it will leave marks. The biggest difference is in the chips, it creates long continuous strands. Its nice to turn and face with the same tool, but that is not unique to Tangential tools.

Caster

Nice work Mark.Please post when you get the clamp done. thomas s

I recently built a right left and center Tangential holders. The center was made with a round toolbit and no side tilt. I find the round bit gives the best finish, the square bits are good, bigger cuts and a nice finish but you have to round the tip or it will leave marks. The biggest difference is in the chips, it creates long continuous strands. Its nice to turn and face with the same tool, but that is not unique to Tangential tools.

Caster

I like the idea of the center one. If I like this one, I will try a center one.

Mark Frazier

I'm with Wermi, need one too.

I'm thinking build it right into a BXA dovetail tool holder. Is there a need for more than one? right and left hand will do the same work.

Show us your clamp solution when you get there.

OK ... I finished the tangential tool holder.

Tangential tool holder parts.jpg These are the parts , minus the bit and a 1 inch 6-32 SHCS to hold it together.
Completed Tengential tool holder.jpg This is the completed holder , ready to cut. It works fine but have not done any HEAVY cutting to see where the point is the bit will slip in the holder ( if it even will). I am very satisfied with the outcome of this project. The tool works fine. there is a revision which I may or may not add. If it causes a problem I will do it , but so far it really isn't needed. The revision is a spacer under the clamp outside diameter .070" thick to keep the clamp from "cocking" . When tightened, the clamp cocked slightly, but it seems to be OK.

tangential tool holder0004.jpg This is the print for my holder, if anyone wants to experiment with it.

This project works and so I will call it complete. I am satisfied with it.

Mark Frazier :victory:

Tangential tool holder

Man..... I hope I spelled that right. I seen and read a lot of opinions and information about how great these tool holders are, so I thought I would make one. I stole ....err....uhm....borrowed this idea from a picture I saw on the web when I Googled "tangential tool holder images". I found a 5" long by 1" square piece of steel in my scrap box ...I mean inventory department that looked like it would suffice.

View attachment 91411 This is where all those saw upgrades pay off. I had to get creative to saw away the excess part of the block.

View attachment 91412 I set the piece in my tilting mill vise and milled a 5/16" slot on a 12 degree angle back and a 12 degree angle to the right. This should set the tool bit at the proper angles.

View attachment 91413 This view shows the tool bit setting in place and the angle.
View attachment 91414 I sharpened the tool bit to the recommended 30 degree angle. I will make a sharpening jig also.
View attachment 91415 All that is left to do is make the clamp to hold the tool. I will do that tomorrow. It only took about an hour and a half to get this far, so it is an easy project.

Mark Frazier

Tangential tool holder parts.jpg Completed Tengential tool holder.jpg tangential tool holder0004.jpg

I have one that was with the old lathe. It looks like this.

Tangetial Cutter.jpg

Tangetial Cutter.jpg

Back