Tangential tool holder

:rubbinghands:
Another convert to the Tangential side...

I have been using a Diamond Tool Holder for a number of years on a 12 X 36 Jet lathe.

Advantages:
Extreme ease of sharpening with 100% repeatable results
Easy to set up properly in the lathe
Can be used on all metals and plastics.....I use it on cast, brass, aluminum, SS, delrin.....
Easy to have a rounded bit for extremely fine finish and a pointed bit for deeper cuts

For smaller lathes, it seems less power and RPMs are required.

As far as "stringing chips"...With my lathe (DC variable Speed) if I simply speed up or slow down just a few RPMs, the stringing stops.

As Roy says, plus they're as convenient and predictable to use as an index-able tool holder if you sharpen both ends of the bit and have a couple of spares ready.

And of course without the expense of buying index-able stuff.

Bernard

A lot of times I get a long string chip with the conventional tool also. It has a lot to do with feeds and speeds, but mostly the feed rate.

I made the revised clamp and it is much much better. One note here: I found if I filed a relief in both directions in the corner of the clamp washer, it seats much better. I believe it will take a lot to make the bit slip , if it will at all. I haven't tried an interrupted cut, but this tool seems to handle anything I do. I am really impressed with it.

Now to make the sharpening jig.

:victory:

Really would like to see the sharpening jig.
Nice work on the toolholder.

Back