Tangential tool holder

Mark, if you find that your clamp screw sometimes gets in the way when you're working close to the chuck, you can easily modify the clamp with a larger size SHCS threaded into the clamp and coming in from the other side. The one I made for my big lathe is quite similar in design to yours, especially the clamp. IIRC, the shank is around 1" x 3/4".
View attachment 91543

Here's the cap screw. Notice the sandblasted finish of the toolholder.
View attachment 91544

Yea, I thought about that. I don't think it will be in the way , but if it is I can drill out to an 8-32 and come from the other side. 8-32 is as big as I can go in this holder. If I like it enough, I am going to make a couple more and I will make a couple changes. This one was kind of by the seat of my pants machining. :))

Michael,

Yesterday I turned 2 thou and the finish could not be improved on. It looked as if it was polished with emery and finished with scotch brite. The cut on the picture is smooth to the touch, running a fingernail does not detect a thing but its not as shiny as a shallower cut.

Caster

My uncle-in-law gave me a couple of 1/4in bits he ground when he was in the air force and one has a huge nose radius (1/8in wide at least) which gives an amazing finish in most materials with light cuts. Probably something similar going on with the circular bits.

Nice job. I made a tangential tool holder a couple of years ago, and have had some issues with the tool slipping under heavy cuts. I am thinking I will make a new holder with a set screw under the bottom end of the bit to prevent this, as well as an adjustment for height as the bit is re-sharpened.

Bob

OK ... I finished the tangential tool holder.

View attachment 91503 These are the parts , minus the bit and a 1 inch 6-32 SHCS to hold it together.
View attachment 91504 This is the completed holder , ready to cut. It works fine but have not done any HEAVY cutting to see where the point is the bit will slip in the holder ( if it even will). I am very satisfied with the outcome of this project. The tool works fine. there is a revision which I may or may not add. If it causes a problem I will do it , but so far it really isn't needed. The revision is a spacer under the clamp outside diameter .070" thick to keep the clamp from "cocking" . When tightened, the clamp cocked slightly, but it seems to be OK.

View attachment 91505 This is the print for my holder, if anyone wants to experiment with it.

This project works and so I will call it complete. I am satisfied with it.

Mark Frazier :victory:

Nice job. I made a tangential tool holder a couple of years ago, and have had some issues with the tool slipping under heavy cuts. I am thinking I will make a new holder with a set screw under the bottom end of the bit to prevent this, as well as an adjustment for height as the bit is re-sharpened.

Bob

I plan to do that too. I am going to make a couple more of these with the screw going in from the other side and a bottom stop that is removable ( in case I don't need it or it gets in the way), l can put it on or take it off. I am also changing the angle from 12 degree to 14 degree.

I have a 10" Logan with AXA QCTP, a number of tool holders with inserts, etc. Would someone please explain the advantage or purpose of the tangential tool holder?
Thanks!

I have a 10" Logan with AXA QCTP, a number of tool holders with inserts, etc. Would someone please explain the advantage or purpose of the tangential tool holder?
Thanks!

That is a good question and I am glad someone asked it, as I would also like to know the answer.It is just another type of tool holder with some advantages and some disadvantages just like any other tool holder.

The advantages , as far as I can see, are easier tool grinding, better use of the square lathe tool bit, they do cut good, finish is good but not necessarily better than any other, you can face and turn without changing or adjusting the tool position. I do like the tool and will probably use it most of the time. I still keep the others as they have their place too.

So, it boils down to it is the latest fad, but a good one. I prefer to use HSS bits,. I only use carbide when I absolutely have to. That is MY choice and opinion though as is all the statements I made here.

Ditto on what Mark said. I like them because of the above reasons, plus they don't tend to chatter as much. The forces go down the tool, and it's better supported than sticking out at 90 degrees from the holder. The cutting edge has more support, and I've noticed less tendency to chip it on hard materials. A round tool gives a good finish, due to the radius at the tip. Clearance and rake are built in by design, and the single grind is real fast to do, and simple to touch up. The chips can get annoying, but I've had long stringy chips even with conventional tools.

For me, it's versatile enough that it's my go-to tool. The others get used, but I think they get jealous. :lmao:

I have been using a Diamond Tool Holder for a number of years on a 12 X 36 Jet lathe.

Advantages:
Extreme ease of sharpening with 100% repeatable results
Easy to set up properly in the lathe
Can be used on all metals and plastics.....I use it on cast, brass, aluminum, SS, delrin.....
Easy to have a rounded bit for extremely fine finish and a pointed bit for deeper cuts

For smaller lathes, it seems less power and RPMs are required.

As far as "stringing chips"...With my lathe (DC variable Speed) if I simply speed up or slow down just a few RPMs, the stringing stops.

I've never had the tool slip in the holder. Even on relatively deep interrupted cuts.

The only time I use any other cutter is for crowning rifle barrels as the Diamond has a hard time fitting where I need it.

As I "play" with this tool more, I like it more and more. I don't have the stringy chip problem everyone talks about either. I think the speed and feed has a lot to do with that.

I am getting material tomorrow to make 3 more of these tools a left, a right , and another undetermined. I also intend to try a round one. and I have some changes and mods from the original I made. If it gets warm enough to make them. I'll post pics when they are done.

Back