Tectyl 900 gun oil for cutting fluid?

Yes, first thing to do is look up a MSDS sheet on it, some of that military stuff can be made with additives that can not be safe for prolonged contact, not to mention a fume hazard from inhalation.
Where can I find this information? The MSDS sheet?

Gun oils are for lubrication, lubricating oils are designed to make metals slip on each other as effortlessly as possible. Cutting oil is for making the cutter cut into the work instead of slipping. The two are diametrically opposite from their very purposes of being. It might work, and might not. YOU are the test pilot...

This stuff looks like it stinks. You might end up breathing a lot of stinky fumes. Do you do a lot of cutting? I end up getting partial cans of tap magic or dark cutting oil at garage sales that last quite a while. In fact, one good pork roast, rendered, will give enough cutting oil for a year. It stinks too, but not in the same way. I hate breathing penetrating oil or military gun oil fumes. If you have a huge amount of cutting to do and need gallons of fluid, soluble cutting oil is great, but you can't leave it sitting on the machines.

Gun oils are for lubrication, lubricating oils are designed to make metals slip on each other as effortlessly as possible. Cutting oil is for making the cutter cut into the work instead of slipping. The two are diametrically opposite from their very purposes of being. It might work, and might not. YOU are the test pilot...
Try it for way oil then. Should be perfect.
John,

Yes that sounds if it can work. Great thinking. I see the Wallabies and Springboks can agree on something :laughing:. Thanks John.

Michael

Run it thru the chainsaw if nothing else . :big grin:

Back