Teleposts as welding table legs

For quicky folding welding table check out a Black& Decker Workmate. When I put it into the Vancouver CL a bunch came up. Until I got my dedicated welding top done I used an old used one I picked up for $15. Yeah, it made for wood but I love the concept and thought I’d replace the wood slats with some channel iron. The concept of having the top be a clamp is pretty cool. Oh and it is kinda short, but handy and folds up to nothing and can hold 150lbs or so. Just thought.

Funny you mention this actually as I saw a video where a guy replaced the wooden parts of a Workmate with metal slats.
I have a Workmate that I use when doing construction work but I’m not sure that I’d sacrifice it for a welding table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it just depends on what you’re doing. I found a piece of 3/8” x 15 x 24 that I welded to 3” channel subframe that’s my kinda everyday heavy duty top that I use on my HF 1,000lb lift cart. I weld, bang, build and whatever on that and because it’s a lift I can do just about anything with it. I’ve used it to unload my shaper and my new monster drill press from the PU. Then do the cleanup and tuning on it. But if I’m doing something big like weld up the door frame I did a while back I have a set of TOUGHBUILT folding sawhorses. The ends will take 2x4 that make them any size and they have adjustable legs and fold up to nothing. Not cheap, like $50ea but once I got used to welding off good sawhorses I‘ll never go back to large solid tops. They never warp, are light and easier to clamp around.

Attachments

• 53C810C1-400E-4AB7-B291-4C5A5AD598D8.jpeg
    53C810C1-400E-4AB7-B291-4C5A5AD598D8.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 14
Sorry, I don’t know another name for these things.

Uhhh... pipe! ...or round tubing if you want to be pretentious! LOL! ;)

For a sturdy solid fold up small work table it is hard to beat a Black and Decker Workmate. I pick up used ones all the time for $20 - $30 (I now have 7 of them because I can't pass up a good deal on a workmate LOL!). Just put a cleat on the back of the work top you want to use and clamp it into the clamping jaws of the Workmate.

P.S. a pair of Workmates with a 2" x 4" (uhh... sorry, a 50.8mm x 101.6mm fir or pine board :) ) clamped in each one is by far the best pair of saw horses I have ever used!

My petite 15yo daughter and I used a pair of workmates to mount an 85" 115lb TV on the wall by ourselves a couple weekends ago. We clamped a 2" x 4" between the two to keep them solid and attached to each other. Then we used a couple 2" x 12" ramps to get the TV up the the wall mount. The uses for Workmates are endless... especially when you have 2 of them. They also make a perfect height plank holder for painting the house.

Last edited:
I've always known them as acrows.

yeah same for UK , acro props , hold up stuff when u take away the supports ? (although on second looks I see no screw jacks on them)

They call "jumpers" "pull overs" as well , is there no end to this maddness ! ??

I’ve been doing some heavy fab and remembered something that I’d tucked away. I bought an old Grizzly cabinet saw off CL and not until I got ready to use it did I realize they had stored it outside and the blade arbor had froze up and they broke the teeth out of the arbor so the blade couldn’t be raised and lowered :(. Couldn’t get parts so I parted it out. And some of the parts were the two cast iron wings which I make into a very nice but kinda small welding table. I have one of the heavy duty music keyboard stands that is an X design that rated for up to 400lbs depending where you have it adjusted. I kills me that two years before an old contractor cleaned out his shop and he literally had a stack of cast iron wings off I don’t know how many table saws. He scraped them all. Wish I’d had a clue because these wings bolted together make a very accurate table that’s easy to clamp to. I continue to look for old dead table saws for the cast iron wings on CL for cheap.

Attachments

• 212BE875-3054-4D2C-8AF0-92EDBC03C8A4.jpeg
    212BE875-3054-4D2C-8AF0-92EDBC03C8A4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Before I moved, I had an old ironing board for a welding/ work table. Take the cloth cover off, and you have a light weight metal table that can be adjusted to a wide range of heights. I wish I had brought it with me.

I’ve been doing some heavy fab and remembered something that I’d tucked away. I bought an old Grizzly cabinet saw off CL and not until I got ready to use it did I realize they had stored it outside and the blade arbor had froze up and they broke the teeth out of the arbor so the blade couldn’t be raised and lowered :(. Couldn’t get parts so I parted it out. And some of the parts were the two cast iron wings which I make into a very nice but kinda small welding table. I have one of the heavy duty music keyboard stands that is an X design that rated for up to 400lbs depending where you have it adjusted. I kills me that two years before an old contractor cleaned out his shop and he literally had a stack of cast iron wings off I don’t know how many table saws. He scraped them all. Wish I’d had a clue because these wings bolted together make a very accurate table that’s easy to clamp to. I continue to look for old dead table saws for the cast iron wings on CL for cheap.

Hmm I see table saws cheap all day long here. A pair of grid wings would be very useful. A stand is easy to make.

Before I moved, I had an old ironing board for a welding/ work table. Take the cloth cover off, and you have a light weight metal table that can be adjusted to a wide range of heights. I wish I had brought it with me.

I use an ironing board as an out feed table for my tablesaw.
Never thought about it as a welder table.

I use the heck out of that key board stand because of the ease of adjustment and speed it folds up. I remember it being cheap at GuitarCenter too. I have a special jig table besides the wings, drafting table, nice Formica top and a heavy piece of galvanize that if for hot stuff out of the powder coat oven. There are two grades of the stand and this is the heavy duty one I guess for heavy old Fender Rhodes pianos or something. I bought it for holding up sound equipment. It has proven far more useful in the shop. Auto body guys use a much flimsy and cheap version.

Back