Testing bearing/contact surface between a carbide insert and the holder

Huh. I got nothin. I milled a pocket in a piece of hot rolled, and tapped it for a hold down screw. No problems out of it.

Something to consider though: If the insert is operating as a cantilever beam, then the force of cutting would force the insert down into its pocket for the duration of the cut. I assume the only way it could affect finish would be in very light cuts.

I did have a cheap insert holder once that wouldn’t hold tightly. The insert would shift side to side in the cut. This was a deal breaker.

Something to consider though: If the insert is operating as a cantilever beam, then the force of cutting would force the insert down into its pocket for the duration of the cut. I assume the only way it could affect finish would be in very light cuts.

The cutting force will push the insert down IF (and only if) the insert can flex, which is unlikely given that the material is engineered to flex as little as possible.

The cutting force will push the insert down IF (and only if) the insert can flex, which is unlikely given that the material is engineered to flex as little as possible.

The insert will not flex one bit, the flex will come from the hold down screw.

And as mentioned, I did try to hone two different inserts of different batches of the same type insert.

Those coatings are hard as hell and the only real marks were right under the cutting edge where you would want it.

Maybe their engineered this way?

@maxime.levesque
I've bought numerous Chicom turning insert tool holders and haven't noticed or thought to check for the clearance you've discovered.
However, I will be into it, like white on rice, when I get back to my home base.
I agree that it's a problem that needs to be addressed, not sluffed off.
I sure hope my collection is in good shape. I never expected the sort of problem you discovered. That's what you get for being diligent. :grin:
Good catch.

Same, never even considered it.

Even the one I have that has this issue doesn’t really show in the work, but then again it’s no where near as bad as OPs example.

That one is horrible.

@maxime.levesque have you tried to use them at all? This may be a case of much ado about nothing.

I did not because I wanted to return them and get a refund
Understandable. A loss, from my view, for lack of result. But you at least know this level of insert holder is probably below your standard.

I wonder if the insert tool holder is like the amazon set of 7 holders with the inserts included for $45 dollars a set of 7 holders OR if it is like the Kennametal holder that sells for 95 bucks each?

So are we comparing an insert tool where a set of seven is about $700 dollars against a set of seven holders is $45 dollars?

Can you expect the same quality?

I wonder if the insert tool holder is like the amazon set of 7 holders with the inserts included for $45 dollars a set of 7 holders OR if it is like the Kennametal holder that sells for 95 bucks each?

So are we comparing an insert tool where a set of seven is about $700 dollars against a set of seven holders is $45 dollars?

Can you expect the same quality?
I don't expect the two to be "the same quality" or have the same technical support.
However, I expect any insert holder to have a pocket that receives and supports the insert adequately.
As a hobbyist, I don't strive for the high metal removal rates (or work with very difficult materials) that professionals seem to.
Therefore I don't need the performance level from my cutting tools that the professional may need.
A little better than "good enough" is Just fine with me, when it comes to tool holders.
Also, I can try numerous low cost combinations of insert/holder configurations and upgrade to higher quality if I choose.

I wonder if the insert tool holder is like the amazon set of 7 holders with the inserts included for $45 dollars a set of 7 holders
The OP stated this is a 7 piece set from Amazon. He’s comparing them to his expectations. His expectations seem reasonable. But he didn’t actually try to use the “questionable” inserts, so it’s sort of moot.

Back