Testing bearing/contact surface between a carbide insert and the holder

I don't expect the two to be "the same quality" or have the same technical support.
However, I expect any insert holder to have a pocket that receives and supports the insert adequately.
As a hobbyist, I don't strive for the high metal removal rates (or work with very difficult materials) that professionals seem to.
Therefore I don't need the performance level from my cutting tools that the professional may need.
A little better than "good enough" is Just fine with me, when it comes to tool holders.
Also, I can try numerous low cost combinations of insert/holder configurations and upgrade to higher quality if I choose.
You have your head straight.

I cant believe all the years I spent working in Tool&Die fretting over things that really don't matter. Had to have the best of this and the proper micrometer, would only trust the best tooling.....

I made beautiful finishes on parts that got another part bolted to them and slammed in a press for a couple of decades, and then get sent to the scrapyard without ever seeing the light of day again.

Why?

Because I was afraid someone would find out I left a scratch on a surface.

Once I realized that sometimes "Good enuf" is what's needed it changed my whole outlook.

@RaisedByWolves
When you do it for a living, I think it's fair to consider a pretty good measure of pride can go into the mix.
I can understand, and appreciate you wanting everything to be excellent.
I hope my Dentist has the latest & greatest and takes justifiably great pride in his/her work.
I try to avoid hobbyist Dentists. :grin:
In our individual home shops, we are probably the customer, designer, purchasing agent, financial officer, manufacturer and QC, all in one.
We get to have all the negotiations inside our own heads. Much easier that way.

Poor support under an insert seems pretty problematic to me. I’d think it a good application for thickened epoxy, as the thin layer will be stiff. A little mold release on the insert and it should form a perfect seat. I guess I’d pay some attention to keeping the screw threads clean.

@RaisedByWolves
When you do it for a living, I think it's fair to consider a pretty good measure of pride can go into the mix.
I can understand, and appreciate you wanting everything to be excellent.
I hope my Dentist has the latest & greatest and takes justifiably great pride in his/her work.
I try to avoid hobbyist Dentists. :grin:
In our individual home shops, we are probably the customer, designer, purchasing agent, financial officer, manufacturer and QC, all in one.
We get to have all the negotiations inside our own heads. Much easier that way.
I have been machining for 70 years . And I was trying to point out that many home shop guys worry about tools being perfect. Now if I buy a cheap set of tool and the inserts rock in the pockets i would send them back. But in all my years in a shop I can only remember a few times where I received faulty tools. Most of the time I look at quality of tool that I buy and if it is junk I return it.
And I don’t think of myself as a hobbyist machinist. Look at my avatar and see a cube with a free floating ball inside it then another smaller ball free floating ball inside it then another free floating inside that. That i made on a old manual Logan lathe where I made all the hand ground tools with my bench grinder.

@Jimsehr
I think we have miscommunicated and I suspect it's not worth the trouble to sort it out.
I'll just say, I intended no insult.

I did not get insulted by anyone’s reply. I am just an old fart machinist.
My goal at my age is to help the new guys in their hobby. And I try to tell them not to expect all tools to be perfect. Many times I see a new guy buying a tool they may only use once and paying top dollar because it is top of the line. If I am buying a tool to run a 1000 pieces in production I try to buy the best made. I think Hardinge makes Very good 5c collets but if I am buying a collet that may only be used to make a few parts I will buy any brand . When I get the collet if it runs out couple thousands that is OK with me if it runs out 15 thousands it goes back to the seller.
In production you buy the best you can get.
in a hobby shop you buy what will work.
I have micrometers that I bought in 1953 that I use everyday. They don’t have all the bells and whistles like some of the new ones but they the check size of parts.

I have purchased many of the cheapest holders and inserts money can buy, and acquired quite a few name brand holders that are priced in the hundred dollar range. I've also made a number of holders myself, for various random inserts. I have to say I've seen no real consistent issues with any of these, they all work. However, a possible exception is for parting tools and inserts...since I've gone to Aloris 71 style blades and name brand GTN-3 inserts, parting is fun again.

Back