The 1935 Craftsman/Walker-Turner 15 Inch Drill Press Mystery

well tomorrow is here and I took some pictures of my WT 15" and a gear drive that was installed to slow it down. the ID of the beveled ring gear is the same as the OD of the top inverted spindle pulley and fits like it was a factory option or made by an experienced machinist. there is no serial number on the nice oval brass tag. I have had this old Walker-Turner drill press for over 45 years without using it (cause I have so many others) and it is a very heavy unit. I hope you can determine when it was made and keep up on your research. maybe some other member has one like mine with the same gear unit.
Dave

DSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    643.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    721.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    595.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    605 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0016.JPG
    DSCF0016.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0019.JPG
    DSCF0019.JPG
    730.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    616.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    720.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    511.7 KB · Views: 10
Whoa, it's a Walker-Turner Underdrive!

Well... You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.
I'd Let It Ride, and Roll On Down the Highway. You know, Looking Out for Number One.
That drill press is Taking Care of Business.

See how this never gets old to me?

I'd Let It Ride, and Roll On Down the Highway. You know, Looking Out for Number One.

I have no clue what you mean---maybe I'm getting too old
Dave

Awww, I put five song titles from Bachman-Turner Overdrive into that post. Walker-Turner Underdrive? Snort? Chortle? Nothing?
no wonder I had no clue---I've never heard of Bachnan-Turner overdrive--guess I am getting too old.
Dave

I was only listening to my old country and western albums collection.
Dave

You made my night. I LOVE BTO! I got it half way through your post.

Cutting oil is my blood.

CPO Ted, I have an old walker turner "the driver line"---(on a brass oval tag on the left side) and I have been reading your thread with great interest. I will post pictures of my WT bench model but I have a question for you on slo-speed kit---because mine has a beveled pinion on shaft from back large belt pulley to a large beveled gear secured above the top large pulley on drill shaft. I was wondering if this was an option years ago or did a PO make the change to slow it down? also maybe you may know what year mine was made since it is not a craftsman. I will include a couple pictures of it now and include some better pictures and info on it tomorrow.
Dave
Hey Dave ...

I just did a quick check of the 1934, 1935 and 1936 WT manuals. Unless I am over looking something, I do not see the speed reducer you have on your machine listed as an option or as "parts" in any of the catalogues listed from that time. I checked anything to do with pulleys, motors and belts and could not come up with anything with a gear on it.

This speed reducer is very interesting to me for a number of reasons. The shaft pulley is a pretty special item because of the way its mounted into the top of the casting. Coming up with that gear to bolt on is pretty amazing. Additionally, coming up with a means of supporting the "main shaft" as well as aligning the two gears Is pretty sophisticated for a guy in his basement shop. I can't but help think that this is some sort of kit or something that came off another machine rather than something put together with catalogue parts.

Again, I could be wrong. Hopefully someone having better information than I could come forward.

As for the drill press itself, based on an examination of the various WT catalogues from 1933 to 1939, I find that the cast in pulley guard having a "right side up bowl" appearance accmodating the largest sheeve of a multisheeve pulley as seen on your machine only appears on those Walker-Turner Driver-line series 900 machines sold in 1934 and 1935.

Back