The Eagle Has Landed

There should be a feed neutral. I usually do a break in procedure, it does vary. With the lathe feed gearbox in neutral, turn the lathe ON and let it run for ten minutes in low gear at something like 50, 100, 200, 300 each for 10 minutes each speed. Let cool then run in high speed 400, 800, 1200 and 1800 RPM each for 10 minutes. Check the headstock heat near the bearings. Change the oil after ~20 hours of use.

I believe position P is for the feed only.

Mark, you are correct (again), position P is feed only. As we used to say when I was in, RTFI.

Last edited:
Break in. Pretty dang quiet at high speed, I think. Never had a new machine, I would not know how quiet they should be.

Watch "PM1440TV Breaking In At 1200" on YouTube

Watch "PM1440TV Beeaking In At 1800" on YouTube

I think your lathe sounds terrible, Nez. Best send it to me so you don't have to put up with it anymore ... ;)

My lathe runs at about 72dB at max speed. Did you measure yours?

I think your lathe sounds terrible, Nez. Best send it to me so you don't have to put up with it anymore ... ;)

My lathe runs at about 72dB at max speed. Did you measure yours?

Jeff has 1st dibs. You are still welcome to come over to TX, BBQ and Lone Star on me.

I don't have a db meter, once I get a reading I will publish it.

Jeff has 1st dibs. You are still welcome to come over to TX, BBQ and Lone Star on me.

I don't have a db meter, once I get a reading I will publish it.

Aahh, you guys are playing the proximity trick, eh? Okay, okay, I'll settle for BBQ if I ever get up there.

Jeff beat me to it - download an decibel meter app. The lathe actually sounds pretty quiet but hard to tell in a video. Sounds smooth, too!

Back