The Eagle Has Landed

I should add that I did compare leveling on the ways and the cross slide and followed up with the 2-collar test as the "make up your damned mind" test. The cross slide worked better for me - it was closer to dead on when tested with the 2-collar follow up test. That's how I made my mind up - don't listen to us; test it yourself and see.

1583022389095.png

Installation and Leveling of the Lathe -- SB Bulletin H-3 uses the ways. Depends on the lathe as to what method you use to level it, the cross slide does not extend to the end of the bed. I clean and setup 2 sets of 123 blocks at either end of the bed and then move my level back and forth. I am only looking at bed twist. With this method I am getting more resolution between both ends of the bed compared to the cross slide, also my level is too long for the cross slide without unbolting a few things. Comparing different areas on the lathe as to level, you will find that each one is different so it is all relative.

Attachments

• Installation and Leveling of the Lathe -- SB Bulletin H-3.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 165
As long as the twist is taken out.
I guess it really doesn't matter were you place the level.

Jeff came to install the electric panel, got the temporary power till the electrician comes and run a new outlet. Thanks, Jeff.

Short video. Do you see anything peculiar or odd to me anyway

Watch "Function Testing The PM1440TV" on YouTube

20200301_165315.jpg
20200301_162824.jpg
20200301_182646.jpg
20200301_183952.jpg

Read the manual a couple of times, thinking I missed the part on break in procedure, there is no such section in the manual.

I suppose no break in is needed

What I alluded to as being odd in the video, the drive shaft and the lead screw turn at the same time. The lathe does not have a selector lever/switch for turning and threading.

I noticed the leadscrew turning. There should be a knob to disengage it; it should only turn when threading.

There should be a feed neutral. I usually do a break in procedure, it does vary. With the lathe feed gearbox in neutral, turn the lathe ON and let it run for ten minutes in low gear at something like 50, 100, 200, 300 each for 10 minutes each speed. Let cool then run in high speed 400, 800, 1200 and 1800 RPM each for 10 minutes. Check the headstock heat near the bearings. Change the oil after ~20 hours of use.

I believe position P is for the feed only.

Last edited:
Back