The Eagle Has Landed

Thank you both for pointing out the apps. Got one, here is the decibel reading at 2300 RPMs.

Screenshot_20200302-091733_Decibel X.jpg
20200302_091747.jpg

Here is the reading at the same RPM, but with the gear in neutral

Screenshot_20200302-102128_Decibel X.jpg

Last edited:
77dB is pretty good, Nez, especially given that it is a gear head lathe. I suspect those gears are hardened and ground and running on decent bearings. That reading is well below the threshold for hearing damage and you'll be able to easily speak to others over that lathe. I would certainly be happy with that.

The machine wiring is all done, Jeff came by to install the convenience outlets. One is 20A, and other is 15A for the readout with built in USB outlets. The outlets are fed by separate breakers with the appropriate amperage

Jeff, thanks again.

The very last power work is when the electrician comes in to put another 220 outlet closer to the HS side of the lathe.

20200302_162918.jpg
20200302_165304.jpg

77dB is pretty good, Nez, especially given that it is a gear head lathe. I suspect those gears are hardened and ground and running on decent bearings. That reading is well below the threshold for hearing damage and you'll be able to easily speak to others over that lathe. I would certainly be happy with that.

Thank you.

I do not need any more hearing loss, hearing is pretty bad as it is now.

Last edited:
We're a bunch of old farts, aren't we? Can't see, can't hear, hair loss, belly bigger than our chests and we can't write our names in the snow because of that damned Prostate! Getting old ain't easy but it's nice to know that we aren't alone ... :bawling:

I only have small diameter and short aluminum to check taper. Stick out is only 5 inches. It looks promising though.

Watch "PM1440TV The First Cut" on YouTube

Attachments

• 20200302_180039.jpg
    20200302_180039.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200302_180058.jpg
    20200302_180058.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 102
We're a bunch of old farts, aren't we? Can't see, can't hear, hair loss, belly bigger than our chests and we can't write our names in the snow because of that damned Prostate! Getting old ain't easy but it's nice to know that we aren't alone ... :bawling:

No kidding. TKR on both knees, can't raise both arms above shoulder height, even done, both can't even support their own weight. Severe Asthma taking almost medication they advertise on TV. Prednisone for emergency. Life is still good, just inconvenience

One of my biggest gripes, they don't make clothing materials like they used to. All the ones the wife buys for me all shrink around the waistline after a few washing...

No kidding. TKR on both knees, can't raise both arms above shoulder height, even done, both can't even support their own weight. Severe Asthma taking almost medication they advertise on TV. Prednisone for emergency. Life is still good, just inconvenience

One of my biggest gripes, they don't make clothing materials like they used to. All the ones the wife buys for me all shrink around the waistline after a few washing...

It's a good thing that age-related memory loss is for short term memories. We can still remember when we could do the nasty all night and still go to work in the morning, climb mountains, speed shift a muscle car and all the other stupid things we did when we were young. This works because we're seeing this through our mind's eye, not our real ones - you know, the ones with cataracts that are covered by bi- or tri-focals. Getting old really sucks but man, life has been one hell of a ride!

Back