The homemade MEGA Machinist chest! With pictures!!

I don't know if I dare post on your thread but here is a picture of a jewelry armoire that I made. Actually made three of them, one for each of my daughters for their high school graduation present. I am new to metalworking but an old hand at woodworking. This is just one of many, many projects that I have made. Also shown is a walnut jewelry thingy for our foreign exchange student from Germany (who is like a daughter to us). So that piece is now sitting in Germany.

If I have offended anyone by posting these pictures in this thread, please let me know and I will remove my post. I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, because Finster did an absolutely amazing job.

IMG_20120512_121617.jpg

IMG_20120512_121627.jpg

IMG_20120512_121704.jpg

IMG_20121212_105545.jpg

IMG_20121212_105607.jpg

Your work is also beautiful, and your post is welcome. We all like to appreciate each others' craftsmanship.

Wow! Nicely done!

I don't know if I dare post on your thread but here is a picture of a jewelry armoire that I made. Actually made three of them, one for each of my daughters for their high school graduation present. I am new to metalworking but an old hand at woodworking. This is just one of many, many projects that I have made. Also shown is a walnut jewelry thingy for our foreign exchange student from Germany (who is like a daughter to us). So that piece is now sitting in Germany.

If I have offended anyone by posting these pictures in this thread, please let me know and I will remove my post. I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, because Finster did an absolutely amazing job.
Wow! Very nice! Makes my chest look like a middle school ash tray. :D Awesome detail and finish.

Just so everyone is clear. Jewelry boxes and cabinets are a very bad idea. Yes the girls love it, but so do the criminals. It puts all the valuables in one spot, easy for them. The best way is to spread jewelry out in different locations, especially the valuables.
Just something I keep hearing from others who know.

Here are the sides, and the top. The cord sticking out is for a piano light that will be mounted on top:

View attachment 227647 View attachment 227647 View attachment 227648 View attachment 227649 View attachment 227650

I decided to make raised panel doors for the front. they turned out well.

View attachment 227651 View attachment 227651 View attachment 227652 View attachment 227653

I made all the door fronts and felted all the drawer bottoms. I used old brass drawer pulls I bought off of ebay as well as the piano lamp. Some stain and final assembly and my chest is complete:

View attachment 227654 View attachment 227655 View attachment 227656 View attachment 227657 View attachment 227658 View attachment 227659 View attachment 227660 View attachment 227661 View attachment 227662 View attachment 227663

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.
Very nicely done, I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment from it.
Regarding the drawers, are they lined with felt or did you use flocking?

Very nicely done, I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment from it.
Regarding the drawers, are they lined with felt or did you use flocking?
I cut some .250 plywood to fit the bottoms of the drawers I it took about 1.5 sheets. I covered them with carpet glue and then laid them on felt. I bought a entire bolt of felt off of e-bay for around $70 and still have half of it left over. The reason I did it that way is so if and when they get greasy and soiled, I can replace them easily. They just pop out and I can make new ones. They are not attached to the actual drawer bottom, they just fit in the bottom nice and snug.

Wow! Very nice! Makes my chest look like a middle school ash tray. :D Awesome detail and finish.

Pffft. Hardly my friend! Your chest is incredible. Like most have said here, waaayyyyy too nice for the shop, but I would do the same! You are from Pennsylvania cherry country, and I definitely envy that. The cherry we have here is just yuck compared to PA cherry. I went with my father-in-law years ago to get some walnut in southern Minnesota (only a little over an hour from where we lived at the time) and those folks down there were burning walnut in their wood stoves for heat. I think about $6 walnut now and just sigh. ;)

Pffft. Hardly my friend! Your chest is incredible. Like most have said here, waaayyyyy too nice for the shop, but I would do the same! You are from Pennsylvania cherry country, and I definitely envy that. The cherry we have here is just yuck compared to PA cherry. I went with my father-in-law years ago to get some walnut in southern Minnesota (only a little over an hour from where we lived at the time) and those folks down there were burning walnut in their wood stoves for heat. I think about $6 walnut now and just sigh. ;)
Years ago I was in Missouri for a job. I went to a saw mill and the guy was going to fill my pickup to the top of the bed with aromatic cedar for $300. I was going to make a few chests to sell in the summer. Trouble is, he went on vacation to Florida the week I got off of work and would have been able to pick it up. I'm still bummed about that. But yea, Cherry grows around here like dandelions.

Back