The Infamous what Mill should I get

Cool! and thanks for sharing the info.

I find it a little surprising how hard it is to come up with info on a machine they physically have, I have been struggling for a few weeks now to just get basically the basic specs around this machine. I got friendly people whenever I called them but its certainly feels a bit odd.

Did you go look at it in person? or do you know if it has a RPM readout/tachometer? I think that was my last open question I had for them
It does have a tac and display tac.jpgclean.jpg

I was wondering the same thing actually, there isn't an obvious way to do it. I am going to start breaking it down to move it into the basement in the morning so I'll report back then.

I was wondering the same thing actually, there isn't an obvious way to do it. I am going to start breaking it down to move it into the basement in the morning so I'll report back then.
Please share your findings or method of basement transport same situation here, so any pointers or tips there definitely welcome.

i was thinking removing the head use some 2x4 framing to sot of protect the bottom/quill, then the column and base (maybe pull the table if necessary) and just dolly them down one by one clean and reassemble

Yes. Pretty straight forward cutting a groove with a standard end mill and then cut the dovetails. Made some quick change tool holders for my lathe.
Sweet. Was wondering if rigidity can become a problem with the bench type mills. Seemed like a lot of surface area in contact. How many passes did it take to make the qctp holder?

When I get my mill I want to make a new holders as well a new compound. And then I'd like to make a new cross slide in order to eliminate the compound.

Sweet. Was wondering if rigidity can become a problem with the bench type mills. Seemed like a lot of surface area in contact. How many passes did it take to make the qctp holder?

When I get my mill I want to make a new holders as well a new compound. And then I'd like to make a new cross slide in order to eliminate the compound.
Mill wasn't the controlling factor, my dovetail cutters were. The shaft was very small and I could only 10-20 thou before I got flex in the dovetail mill shaft. figured that out after taking spring passes that still were still cutting what to me looked like a lot of material.

I wanted to just keep this thread updated. I did end up ordering a PM932V despite the price hike. Item shipped freight to WI remarkably fast was like 3-4 days. Crate was made of what i would describe as the paper mache of plywood and hulk had punched a few holes in it luckily nothing really seemed to have hit or hurt the machine, and the quill DRO was on but attribute that likely to shaking in transit.

EV Miller already posted a few pictures, I can add some more if anyone else is interested. Mine will likely continue to live on the pallet till I get a stand built for it. Just a few notes or observations the cabinet on the back or backpack as i like to call it is a bit bigger than expected but laid out incredibly clean and orderly with little labels on everything have not seen if that references or matches any diagrams but appreciate clean and good cable management.

I will note the Z axis on mine was "stuck" and incredibly hard to turn the crank after a call with PM i removed the z axis bellows and pulled both gib screws and then was able to get the thing to shift (z axis locks were off) wondering if it was just the combination of paint (given it looks like these are painted assembled or at least touched up) and the paint on the faces of the Z axis crank which definitely rubs pretty heavily on the plate that it buts up against. The Gib however did not seem to shift at all given by the fact its painted over and that seam has not cracked, but in any case ill need to figure how to re-adjust that.

Honestly if i disassemble for transit to the shop it may be worth it to pull the gib clean and potentially stone or check it for flatness but that's another day (i feel like adjusting the Z gib under the load of the head would be tricky to get right)

Back