The ones we love

Did they mention elevation? :)

Jeff, prayers and concern going out to you and your wife. A friend of mine just had one of his knees replaced but he is considerably older than you two. Like many others have said, stick to the regimen and she will do well.

Are you kidding me!?? I do too. I don't know of anyone else who has this except for one of my brothers. I think they call it cold induced urticaria.
Wisconsin?
It gets cold there right?

Wisconsin?
It gets cold there right?
Haha. Yes it does. It can be an issue for me but I have to get really, really cold for it to start to affect me. If there is a wind blowing with exposed skin, then it becomes more challenging.

How is the recovery coming along Jeff?

Had my knee replaced on March 12. Two days later all elective surgery was canceled do to covid. Went to the physical therapist 4 days after surgery and told her I wasn't coming back and to give me a protocol to follow. She was very receptive and stated they weren't taking any new patients after that day anyhow.

I was diligent with the protocol I was assigned and did it 3 times a day instead of 2. Two weeks in I got on our stationary bike and that was the clear ticket. The first couple of revolutions are killers but after that it's bearable. We called the physical therapist and she said the bike was a good idea, no resistance just motion, 2 miles per sitting.

After 3 weeks I was walking with a cane and a week after that on my own.

I hate ice so I did just the bare minimum and got by on over the counter Tylenol.

Your wife will be just fine if she keeps working it.

I am 69 years old and have had a new aortic valve, both shoulders rotator cuff, carotid artery clean out, colon cancer surgery, hernia repair, graft bypass, and 5 stents. The knee surgery was almost enjoyable compared to a couple of them.

They tell me my other knee will not be far behind for replacement. It is good to be able to walk more than a few steps before having to rest.

The therapist told us "motion is lotion".

Good Luck and Good Health!

"I am 69 years old and have had a new aortic valve, both shoulders rotator cuff, carotid artery clean out, colon cancer surgery, hernia repair, graft bypass, and 5 stents. The knee surgery was almost enjoyable compared to a couple of them. "

Good grief. You have been through a lot.

Had my knee replaced on March 12. Two days later all elective surgery was canceled do to covid. Went to the physical therapist 4 days after surgery and told her I wasn't coming back and to give me a protocol to follow. She was very receptive and stated they weren't taking any new patients after that day anyhow.

I was diligent with the protocol I was assigned and did it 3 times a day instead of 2. Two weeks in I got on our stationary bike and that was the clear ticket. The first couple of revolutions are killers but after that it's bearable. We called the physical therapist and she said the bike was a good idea, no resistance just motion, 2 miles per sitting.

After 3 weeks I was walking with a cane and a week after that on my own.

I hate ice so I did just the bare minimum and got by on over the counter Tylenol.

Your wife will be just fine if she keeps working it.

I am 69 years old and have had a new aortic valve, both shoulders rotator cuff, carotid artery clean out, colon cancer surgery, hernia repair, graft bypass, and 5 stents. The knee surgery was almost enjoyable compared to a couple of them.

They tell me my other knee will not be far behind for replacement. It is good to be able to walk more than a few steps before having to rest.

The therapist told us "motion is lotion".

Good Luck and Good Health!
Wow! You've practically been rebuilt.
My wife just had her second knee replacement about 3 weeks ago. She's pretty much followed the same regime as yours was and except for those occasions where she maybe "feels to good" and over does it the pain doesn't seem to bother her much.
My Mom & one of my Uncles both had their knees done in pairs at the same time so they didn't have to go through it twice. They were both in their 70's at the time and both swear that was the only way to do it.

Today is day 5, she is doing better than I expected. She is not using the walker, (grrr) has just a small limp, she is weaning off the Norco and doing her PT as prescribed.
She has had her leg elevated almost the whole time. I think that has made the difference.
We got a bit concerned Friday night, she was running a low grade fever, down a bit the next morning but by yesterday afternoon her temp is normal!!
It's interesting and maybe some of you that have gone through this can relate, she has to concentrate on walking on her right foot. Her alignment has been off for so long due to compensating for the weak joint.
She tends to only walk on the outside of her foot, her concentration includes allowing the new knee to guide her gate without tension.
Is that clear?
Anyway, thank you all for the encouragement and well wishes. It means a lot to both of us.
Jeff

Glad to hear that she is on the mend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back