The Retractor, Part II

How much is it worth?

• Total voters

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for a reason to ignore my household duties, I decided to make a small batch of the threading tool retractor.
Finding a piece of P20 just big enough for four, I was off to the races. There were a few minor refinements, but the basic design remains unchanged. Unfortunately, I was so engrossed in the project that I neglected to keep track of my time, and I'm not sure that would have been helpful anyway.

20220710_121658.jpg

Since I have no use for five of these things, I plan to try to sell the four pictured and keep the original.
Two of them have AXA dovetails (one may become a BXA). The other two are still blank, but will probably get straight shanks for universal mounting.
Obviously the dovetail mounts require more machining and parts.

This brings me to the big question.

How much is it worth?

Last edited:
Looking for a reason to ignore my household duties, I decided to make a small batch of the threading tool retractor. Finding a piece of P20 just big enough for four, I was off to the races. There were a few minor refinements, but the basic design remains unchanged. Unfortunately, I was so engrossed in the project that I neglected to keep track of my time, and I'm not sure that would have been helpful anyway.

View attachment 413274

Since I have no use for five of these things, I plan to try to sell the four pictured and keep the original.
Two of them have AXA dovetails (one may become a BXA). The other two are still blank, but will probably get straight shanks for universal mounting.
Obviously the dovetail mounts require more machining and parts.

This brings me to the big question.

How much is it worth?
I can't help with how much is it worth, but I'm hoping I can afford the AXA model when you decide.
DanK

With the tool bit holder and all, I would think a couple hundred bucks anyway.

I'd like to see how much a BXA would be :)

Well this is hardly a statistically significant sampling, but it is just an opinion poll. After starting to total up the material costs, I decided it's better not to know before these are gone.

Here's what I have arrived at for THIS batch:

Retractor with AXA or BXA dovetail and hardware - $225 + shipping
Retractor with 5/8 straight shank for toolholder mount - $200 + shipping
Retractor unfinished - you machine mount to suit your situation - $175 + shipping.

These will fit in a USPS small flat-rate box, $10.

Tooling always costs more than we think it should.

If anyone is interested LMK.

@Aukai, I won't be able to cut the BXA dovetail until the inserts arrive. They are currently in California so shouldn't be long.

I will take one. BXA please.

Says the guy that has not done any threading yet…

Oh, and not sure why the link you posted did not work…. Had to search for it…

Well this is hardly a statistically significant sampling, but it is just an opinion poll. After starting to total up the material costs, I decided it's better not to know before these are gone.

Retractor unfinished - you machine mount to suit your situation - $175 + shipping.

@Aukai, I won't be able to cut the BXA dovetail until the inserts arrive. They are currently in California so shouldn't be long.
I will take one AXA. How do you want to be paid? And I haven't learned how to PM you yet....for shipping address.
DanK

I will take one. BXA please.

Says the guy that has not done any threading yet…

Oh, and not sure why the link you posted did not work…. Had to search for it…

Will let you know as soon as I can have it ready.

In case it isn't clear, you will need to arrange a stop on your lathe for the trip lever. Everybody's lathe is different, so it's not something I can provide. This picture shows mine, which is a dual purpose stop. Commonly, something like this will clamp to the ways.

Stop.jpg

Will let you know as soon as I can have it ready.

In case it isn't clear, you will need to arrange a stop on your lathe for the trip lever. Everybody's lathe is different, so it's not something I can provide. This picture shows mine, which is a dual purpose stop. Commonly, something like this will clamp to the ways.

View attachment 413711
Understood :encourage:

I would be interested in buying a BXA if one is still available. Please let me know.

thanks

Adam

Back