The Rotary Table I've Been Waiting For

Rotary tables are like older machines. Bigger is better - except... except... - particularly with a rotab, you have to move it... My 10" (Bison) is well in excess of 100#. I can lift it onto the mill table, but try to plan for a time when I can't. I have a Horror Fraught hydraulic lift table that I store it (and other heavy items) on. I can roll it to the mill, lower the mill table, and scootch it across.

8" is as small as I'd go. There's just not enough room on a 6" to mount much.

GsT

Very happy with my 9" Troyke that is a bit older than the one you show, but nearly identical.

The only downside as in reason not to buy is that it's hoizontal only. The ones that can go vertical, with or without a tailstock, can be handy for making certain gears, splines and such.

But for the asking price, it's pretty risk-free because, if at some time in the future you decide you need the vertical, you can by one then, and sell the Troyke for more than you paid.

Very happy with my 9" Troyke that is a bit older than the one you show, but nearly identical.

The only downside as in reason not to buy is that it's hoizontal only. The ones that can go vertical, with or without a tailstock, can be handy for making certain gears, splines and such.

But for the asking price, it's pretty risk-free because, if at some time in the future you decide you need the vertical, you can by one then, and sell the Troyke for more than you paid.
Mine will go vertical but I bought a dividing head so I have no intentions of wrestling it up on its edge....

If you want to use a horizontal only rotary table in the vertical position all you have to do is mount it on an appropriate size angle plate. I bought several larger ones from Enco when they were still around. They can also be picked up at used equipment dealers for considerably less than what most retailers are asking.

Mine will go vertical but I bought a dividing head so I have no intentions of wrestling it up on its edge....
Me toooo. The BS-1 dividing head I bought is Chinese but pretty decent. And it came with a semi decent 6" 3 jaw chuck. I haven't put the 8" Rotary table on edge since I got the indexing head. The indexing head is so tall, when rotated straight up, that it eats up too much Z on the mill. So the rotary table is used, and has more clamping area than the face plate on the indexing head.

Me toooo. The BS-1 dividing head I bought is Chinese but pretty decent. And it came with a semi decent 6" 3 jaw chuck. I haven't put the 8" Rotary table on edge since I got the indexing head. The indexing head is so tall, when rotated straight up, that it eats up too much Z on the mill. So the rotary table is used, and has more clamping area than the face plate on the indexing head.
I bought one of those too (the BS-1)
After going through it, cleaning, deburring and lubricating it, I should have purchased the larger version.
Live and learn, again.

Back