The Rotary Table I've Been Waiting For

i am just gathering tools at the moment.
Have you looked at what gear cutting tooling you will need? Even just for Spur gears there are an awful lot of different geometries requiring different gear cutters for each. Machinery's Handbook has lots of info. If you don't have a copy, there are used copies available on the used bookstore sites. I don't think there is any need for the latest version for a hobbyist use.
What bevel gear diameter can you get with the BS-1?
If you have CAD on your computer, make a drawing of the dividing head and a front view of your mill. You can then rotate the dividing head with your work installed and the tooling intended installed on the mill.
What happens as you rotate the dividing head up from horizontal, is the work holding device and work move closer to the mill head tooling.

Have you looked at what gear cutting tooling you will need? Even just for Spur gears there are an awful lot of different geometries requiring different gear cutters for each. Machinery's Handbook has lots of info. If you don't have a copy, there are used copies available on the used bookstore sites. I don't think there is any need for the latest version for a hobbyist use.

If you have CAD on your computer, make a drawing of the dividing head and a front view of your mill. You can then rotate the dividing head with your work installed and the tooling intended installed on the mill.
What happens as you rotate the dividing head up from horizontal, is the work holding device and work move closer to the mill head tooling.
I ordered the vector 6” dividing hear and the 8” rotary table. I am new so at least was not expensive to learn.IMG_4775.jpeg

I ordered the vector 6” dividing hear and the 8” rotary table. I am new so at least was not expensive to learn.
There will be a lot of learning going on to master those two items!
Something I was unaware of when I got mine was the taper on the BS-1 can be something I wasn't prepared for. BS stands for Brown & Sharp. I think they originated the design and they used the B&S tapers. Very close to but not quite Morris Tapers. Make sure you use the correct taper tooling. BS7 or BS9 or MT2 or MT3. A fairly easy check would be to blue-up a known part and insert it into the sockets on the RT & BS-1.
Precision Mathews states their BS-1 is BS9 taper. Some online vendors either don't say or say MT. A MT will seat and lock in a B&S but it will not necessarily be running true in angle.

I ordered the vector 6” dividing hear and the 8” rotary table.
You've probably seen many people's recommendations to disassemble, debur, clean and lube all Chinese stuff before using. Good idea! It will also allow you to better understand what makes them work. Consider taking photos as you take them apart. Might make putting them back together easier.

There will be a lot of learning going on to master those two items!
Something I was unaware of when I got mine was the taper on the BS-1 can be something I wasn't prepared for. BS stands for Brown & Sharp. I think they originated the design and they used the B&S tapers. Very close to but not quite Morris Tapers. Make sure you use the correct taper tooling. BS7 or BS9 or MT2 or MT3. A fairly easy check would be to blue-up a known part and insert it into the sockets on the RT & BS-1.
Precision Mathews states their BS-1 is BS9 taper. Some online vendors either don't say or say MT. A MT will seat and lock in a B&S but it will not necessarily be running true in angle.
Yes it has an mt3 tapper. Thank you so much for the help. I am reviewing YouTube videos non stop now

Did you get the indexing plate set up for the rotary?
Yes, but they don't often get used. Bolt circles are more easily done using the DRO. Swinging large archs is my best use. I did make an end rounding jig similar to Blondihack's.

Awesome will try to get the book too

Back