The Vaccine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a huge burden to wear them while I'm working.... I can't breathe and everyone yells at me if I uncover my nose so I can get some fresh air..... I run around huge commercial buildings with a 20lbs tool belt, 10ft ladder and 50lb boxes of Cat6a all day and It gets my heart rate up...... I need to be able to breathe so I have to take long breaks and the customers complain about as well.....
This is that part of the pandemic that we all could have a little more compassion about. On the one hand, we have people wondering why people won't where their masks. On the other hand, we have people forced to wear masks for 8 hours or more - arguably more than doctors normally wear them outside of a pandemic - and then we freak out when they want a little longer break, or need a breather, or god forbid they complain about wearing a mask.

This is a big change for EVERYONE. We could all do well to try and have some empathy and listen to each other.

I'm pretty skeptical of the idea of managing this particular virus with a vaccine, and I'm not going to be in any hurry to go get my shot. Based on the reading I've been doing, I am placing more faith in treatment. Doctors seem to be zeroing in on effective treatment options, based on how different people react to the virus. Some cases are worse than others, possibly due to genetic reasons, environmental factors, and so forth. I'm not up to date on all the research at this moment, but last time I was, it seemed like a safer place to put my bet than on vaccines that were rushed to market.

I'm taking a cautious, wait and see approach. I haven't been sick in years. I haven't contracted COVID-19, in spite of traveling in and out of hot zones for a living. Maybe all the cat **** I ate as a kid has left me with a killer immune system, or maybe I'm crazy due to latent toxoplasmosis.

I mean I do have a hobby where you spend $25,000 and 50 hours to avoid buying a $30 part, right? I'm obviously a little touched in the head.

Its a huge burden to wear them while I'm working.... I can't breathe and everyone yells at me if I uncover my nose so I can get some fresh air..... I run around huge commercial buildings with a 20lbs tool belt, 10ft ladder and 50lb boxes of Cat6a all day and It gets my heart rate up...... I need to be able to breathe so I have to take long breaks and the customers complain about as well..... I have deadlines to make and bills that don't stop.....
I get it that masks can be an annoyance, but we also know that one can manage, just like operating theater surgeons have to do for hours on end. I found on eBay, a plastic face shield, a pair for less than five bucks. Peel off the thin plastic protective film, and you are good to go. Its incredibly lightweight, and lets you breathe easy, even when under exertion. I clean mine off with alcohol, and keep re-using it.

Face down those who would mock. Wearing a mask, or face shield makes the statement that you do care about others around you, and that you do not want to go around being a potentially deadly public health hazard!

Whatever you do - DO NOT underestimate this pestilence. What happens to those who get it varies wildly, and even for those who apparently recover with hardly any effects, they should not be complacent. They may be carrying the damage that will debilitate their life quality 10 years down the line!

We have learned a lot about this thing since last March. What happens with it, how it spreads, and how to limit it is the stuff of extremely hardball science. Testing and trying to discover facts - and I mean REAL facts which have the essential element of truth in them! In time, we will discover pretty much all of it. I do sometimes worry that folk who read only preference profiled, social media stuff, already filtered to only be what they want to hear from a group they feel to agree with; can be big enough, and loud enough to assert a wrong version of what is fact. The UK anti-vaxers were responsible for agonizing deaths in children. It took years, and millions in research to face them down!

COVID-19 Damage.png

Even if one has the constitution of Iron Man, fully immune, shot full of vaccines, whatever, you can still have a viral load replicating in you, you won't have symptoms, and you can be leaving it on every surface you touch, and breathing out your vapors past any family sitting near you!

This is one thing where everyone can show they can pull together with other folk. It won't be forever. Humans are damn smart, and we will defeat this thing!

Last edited:
Speaking of vaccinations, I got the TDAP and first round of the shingles vaccine yesterday.

They warned me about the shingles vaccine, but I never have any reaction to vaccines. Last night felt like the worst night of my life. Chills, headache, fever, zero sleep.. I dd my best to keep it from my wife, she's still freaked about our brother in law being positive.

After this (its still not over) I will think long and hard getting the second round of shingles shots.

I have a UPS package to go out today, it's 45 lbs and I could barely get out of bed. I'm going to pay the $16.40 and have them pick it up. There is no way I can lift it right now.

Last edited:
Speaking of vaccinations, I got the TDAP and first round of the shingles vaccine yesterday.

They warned me about the shingles vaccine, but I never have any reaction to vaccines. Last night felt like the worst night of my life. Chills, headache, fever, zero sleep.. I dd my best to keep it from my wife, she's still freaked about out brother in law being positive.

After this (its still not over) I will think long and hard getting the second round of shingles shots.

I have a UPS package to go out today, it's 45 lbs and I could barely get out of bed. I'm going to pay the $16.40 and have them pick it up. There is no way I can lift it right now.

Shingles is a nasty one though. I personally still would get the second round. My best friend got it in college at 20 yo. (uncommon I know). He was very sick for almost 3 weeks with significant lingering side effects for years after.

The main COVID vaccines being evaluated are genetically engineered mRNA
Thank you Mark, for being the voice of logic and reason in this no longer political discussion.
Yes, the new "vaccination" is not like the old ones, there is hope in the possibility of future mutations being affected.
At 81, I do not fear long-term problems. If I can survive another ten years I will feel blessed. Beyond that my body will no longer support the wishes/desires of my mind and I don't really care what happens to it. [Edit] I'll probably feel different in ten years.
I want that vaccination so I can move about society without fear of infecting others. I had just decided to travel a bit in my last years, see some of this great world we all share, and along came Covid-19.
I'll be on my way in two or three months, hopefully.

I'm having the same problem, and I'm not having to lug around tools, and a box of Cat6.
I'd try some different brands/type of masks if you can.
I finally found a blue version of the surgical mask style that seems 'breathe' easier found them when we went for our flu shots at CVS.
The nurse gave us a half dozen but I didn't pay attention to the make/mfg.

A few months ago I placed an order at lowes for pickup. Best intentions and all that.
Of course they messed up one item and the lady at the pickup counter did not, for some odd reason, want to get an associate to run back and get the correct item. All she wanted to do was to remove the item from the order.
So I had to go get it. And of course it was all the way at the back corner of the store.
I was totally out of breathe after I booked it back there, and had to stop and catch my breath.
At that time I was using a mask I had picked up at the hospital. That brand didn't seem to breathe easily.
When this first hit I was using a 3M Series 6000 respirator until I realized that they exhaust your exhaling through an open valve.

Its a huge burden to wear them while I'm working.... I can't breathe and everyone yells at me if I uncover my nose so I can get some fresh air..... I run around huge commercial buildings with a 20lbs tool belt, 10ft ladder and 50lb boxes of Cat6a all day and It gets my heart rate up...... I need to be able to breathe so I have to take long breaks and the customers complain about as well..... I have deadlines to make and bills that don't stop.....

And now Moderna’s Covid Vaccine has been announced and it doesn't require the special 'cold' handling.

It seems the Oxford University AstraZeneca version may also not require extreme cold conditions.

It is possible that the Pfizer vaccine, in the end, need not have the cold requirement. They announced early. Undertaking the separate tests to discover the temperature degradation properties takes a long time, so Pfizer may have simply defaulted to the worst case storage requirement for the time being. We don't know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back