The Vaccine(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this very interesting and informative regarding the discussion of cold chain transportation.
I am impressed by this. It confirms my perception that when exactly you and I get to line up for our shot is going to be later than we think!
This because the task of distribution is so huge, and so affected by how we behave right now. The planes are mothballed, or being scrapped, and the pilots laid off.

Planet-wide, humans are not very good at behaving for a collective effort. Like with everything else, there will be the haves, and the have nots, and the me-firsts, and the I am richest(s)!

“…the fear factor has got to step back. This idea that I don’t want to give you something that I don’t even know that I have is almost at the point of ridiculous. Let’s use some common sense.”

.......wow really...... how did that violate the rules????
Screenshot_2020-11-16-17-02-01.png

Last edited:
“…the fear factor has got to step back. This idea that I don’t want to give you something that I don’t even know that I have is almost at the point of ridiculous. Let’s use some common sense.”

Despite the formal website name (which caught me by surprise at first), the validity of the source needs to be questioned.

I fear we my be diverging into the political discussions end of the conversation which is not allowed on HM.

The problem I have with the opinion piece in the quoted link is that it is a political writer using the quotes of others and summarizing those bits in a way to fit the author's world view narrative. And if you read the byline of the author - his motivation is clearly political and self serving - this is a sneaky way of talking about science but from a political motivation.

For this reason, I'm going to leave this post up and if others choose to read the piece, their opinions may vary. However, I will lock the post if the discussion goes beyond the political boundary - as blurry as it is in this case.

I think Dan is correct - let's "stick to verifiable facts" if we are going to make any claims outside of our non-political opinions.

There are definitely a lot of unknowns left to be resolved. Certainly, a 10% chance of contracting the virus anyway doesn't sound too good to me, considering I'm betting my life on it. However figuring probabilities as a matter of multiplying all the individual probabilities so adding a factor of 0.1 to the product is a good idea. So if I combine the probability of the virus getting past the vaccine, the prrobability of it getting past my mask, that of a person being within striking distance for a significant amount of time, and the person actually being contagious, the odds are in my favor.

Anyone who has done an FMEA for failure knows that the cause for concern is proportional to the product of the probability for failure and the severity of the consequences. As someone of advanced age and with underlying health issues, the severity part is fairly great.
We finally got through to my 18 year old son last week on this. His employer doesn't wear masks (12 employees in a 10,000 sqft warehouse/office). What made him get it? I told him that he doesn't want to be the guy that everyone is blaming for ruining the holidays. I hate playing the guilt card, but when put to him this way, it hit home. He has been wearing his mask everyday since. He is taking a fair amount of ribbing at work over it, but a few others have secretly thanked him via text messaging and are wearing their masks now. Strength in numbers. Moments like this that make me proud of that young man!

Masks are cheap, easy to use. Don't know if They work but it is not a burden to use Them.

Its a huge burden to wear them while I'm working.... I can't breathe and everyone yells at me if I uncover my nose so I can get some fresh air..... I run around huge commercial buildings with a 20lbs tool belt, 10ft ladder and 50lb boxes of Cat6a all day and It gets my heart rate up...... I need to be able to breathe so I have to take long breaks and the customers complain about as well..... I have deadlines to make and bills that don't stop.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back