The Voron kit build thread

I noticed today that the OS image I used for the CB1 had a timelapse.cfg file pre-installed. I spent a few hours on google this morning, copying and pasting some macros around. I think I got it working.

Kinda cool, but I still need to play around with the settings and see what all it can do.

BTT had a sale on the Pre-Order of the TFT35 SPI V2.1. The 3.5" screen made specifically for the CB1.

@ $13.00, there's not much risk if it doesn't work. These days, thats pretty much the price of two cups of coffee here in WA state. :oops:

I spent a couple hours this morning modeling a Voron housing to fit it. It's based on the dimensions and CAD model BTT had posted on their github acct. If the thing doesn't work, i'll be out 13$, and others who may be able to get it working will have another screen housing they can download off printables. Once I receive the screen from BTT, ill print one of these and verify fitment, then post the model up on Printables.

I went with a more angular look on this design, and gave it a dual color printable logo insert:

TFT35 SPI V2.1.24.jpg

@Ken226 It appears that Orange Pi has a large touchscreen available for the OPi 4. http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/otherAccessories/details/Orange-Pi-Touch-Screen.html

Edit: I just realized that it is out of stock. Surprise.

Yes, i've seen it. It looks great and is very popular.

For me, im using the little screen to run Klipperscreen on the front of the printer between the skirts. The biggest thing that will fit there is the 4.3" size. 5" or bigger requires it be set at an angle that makes it difficult to use. Basically, that screen is just for things like filament changes, pre-heating, E-stop, etc.

For actually printing, loading gcode and everything else, i just use the laptop. I pretty much slice, then send the file directly to print from the laptop.

Being completely honest, i never even touch the screen on the printer. It's mostly just eye-candy. It really doesn't do much. Aside from providing a quick e-stop.

How's the build going?

The build is done and I am up and printing for the most part. I printed your side entry exhaust housing the other day. I haven't installed it yet. I am finishing up the hinges for the doors and such.
One of the issues that I had today is my z-height between prints. I have downloaded the quick-release panel latches, and it seems like the initial z-height is different than for a design I might draw up in Solidworks, slice it, and then print than it is for the quick-release panel latches I downloaded, as an example. I need to do more investigating into that, but I was busy in my shop today and didn't really get a chance to dive into the z-height issue.

@7milesup and/or @AlanB

Awhile back one of you mentioned that you were printing some magnetic panel clips.

My memory sucks, so I don't recall which of you it was.

How did that project go?

I tried it early on, and all of the available designs I printed and tried had the same problem.

Since the plexiglass panels go sit flush with the edge of the t-slots, the screw heads pulled the clips down into the slot with even small amounts of torque, and cause the corners to lift.

While they mostly worked, the only way to get the corners to sit flat on the rail was to leave the screws pretty loose.

Did either of you experience that? Solve it? If so, how? I'm thinking about trying to come up with a design that solves that issue, but it's a tough one. Anything that bridges the t-slot gap, interferes with the panel.

Last edited:
I have not made progress on my Voron for awhile. Project got pushed down the list a bit. :)

@Ken226 I don't remember magnetic panel clips, but I will be using snap latches. Here is a link to them... https://www.teamfdm.com/files/file/392-snap-latch-2020/?tab=details.
Maybe that is not what you were looking for, but I don't remember any conversation about the panels.

I discovered that my Z-rails and gantry accouterments sit slightly so proud of the outer plane of the aluminum extrusions, so I will have to purchase some thicker foam tape to push the panels out a little bit. The snap latch above comes in different heights to accommodate different panel thicknesses.
I also have some 0.025" thick smoke bronze Lexan panels that I might use for the sides. Just because :)

I guess the only thing I remember about that conversation was that it was on the internet. :dunno: Maybe on Alibre forum, or team FDM or something.

I may have to give those snap latches a try.. I'm really not coming up with a good solution to the magnetic clip thing. So far, about a half dozen ideas have failed.

I love these snap latches. They are a little finicky to put together, but their design is ingenious. Super easy to take the panels on and off should you need to access the interior of the printer.

Back