The Voron kit build thread

After lots of trial and error, i came up with a magnetic panel clip design that's working for me.

Instead of the upper underside horizontal face bearing against the 2020 rail, all of the force is applied by the pillars, downward against the inside of the t-slot. It prevents the clip from being pulled into the channel by the screws and lifting the rear edge.

Render Exploded.3.jpg

1680038882818.png

1680038913721.png

They work really well.

The downside is that they are a little tougher to install than other types. The hammerhead screws have to be positioned into the slot, and rotated 90 degrees before the clip can be positioned over it.

Last edited:
I noticed that under KIAUH's "advanced" menu, it has the option to add some custom themes to Mainsail. After I installed the Voron theme and figured out the file system, I replaced some of the theme images and logos with some CAD renderings I did in Keyshot, along with a free windows wallpaper clip from the internet.

Kinda neat how customizable the UI is:

1680406200929.png

Last edited:
Saw some interviews with the head of the Pi Foundation recently on utoob, and things are looking up for Pi supply, and they predict further improvement as time goes on. I've noticed there is a lot of availability on Pi 3A+ and Pi Zero W. There is some availability on Pi 4. You have to get organized and respond promptly when they turn up. The Pi Foundation is producing lots of product (numbers like 750k/month) however the market is absorbing the production pretty quickly. In terms of a Voron using Klipper the 3A+ is reported to be a good choice. The Zero W does fine if no cameras are attached. Availability of Voron kits is improving as well with a number of vendors. LDO is a favorite, and there are other options with lower price points. One of the best ways to learn about the Voron 3D Printers is to sign up for the Voron Discord. The community there is very helpful and the vendors there are supporting the customers with a wide range of partial to full kits and components. You can find links to the Voron Discord on the VoronDesign.com website. Voron is not a company, it is a design group. They produce the open source designs and bill of materials and allow others to handle the business side. When you make a Voron it is your selection of standard parts and mods. There is a process to get a free serial number from the Voron Design Group, but this is completely optional. There are more than 10,000 serialed Vorons. I don't know what the fraction of Serialed vs Total Vorons is, but I suspect there are more unserialed than serialed machines.

So I'm printing Ken226's BTT 4.3 V2 display mount from Printables. Prusa Slicer 2.6.0 beta 2 reported 16 errors on loading (as did 2.5.2), probably some minor geometric issues that it automatically fixes. Printing it on the MK4 with organic supports enabled. This for the LDO Voron Trident 250 that is nearing completion, the display is working nicely but it needs a mount to keep it safe as we work on this printer.

One question I have is how does the BTT 4.3 DSI compare to the Waveshare 4.3 DSI. I have one of each but have only fired up the BTT thus far. They differ significantly in physical details, but are very similar in price. One advantage of the BTT is that you can order other 3D printing components in the same direct order, such as controllers, motor drivers, etc., while Waveshare doesn't have the range of 3D printing products. I'm going to want another display or two so I might standardize, perhaps on the BTT.

So I'm printing Ken226's BTT 4.3 V2 display mount from Printables. Prusa Slicer 2.6.0 beta 2 reported 16 errors on loading (as did 2.5.2), probably some minor geometric issues that it automatically fixes. Printing it on the MK4 with organic supports enabled. This for the LDO Voron Trident 250 that is nearing completion, the display is working nicely but it needs a mount to keep it safe as we work on this printer.

One question I have is how does the BTT 4.3 DSI compare to the Waveshare 4.3 DSI. I have one of each but have only fired up the BTT thus far. They differ significantly in physical details, but are very similar in price. One advantage of the BTT is that you can order other 3D printing components in the same direct order, such as controllers, motor drivers, etc., while Waveshare doesn't have the range of 3D printing products. I'm going to want another display or two so I might standardize, perhaps on the BTT.

I don't have any experience with it, but recall a couple of threads on TeamFDM about the Waveshare version. From what i remember, it functions pretty much identical, and is very well liked.

I even modified my BTT display mount to fit the Waveshare version of the screen and uploaded it to Printables. They guy who asked me to mod the BTT housing to fit his Waveshare never got back to me to indicate if it actually fit correctly.

Since I did the CAD work relying on the Waveshare CAD model I downloaded, i was never able to verify for sure that the model fits. It's on Printables, nonetheless: https://www.printables.com/model/443708-waveshare-43-dsi-touch-screen-housing-for-voron-24

It looks like someone printed on and posted a make though. He said it fit.

From what I've read, the Waveshare 4.3 DSI is at least as good in quality as the BTT, maybe even better. If I remember right, it was Manny, in this thread who had the Waveshare screen. https://www.teamfdm.com/forums/topic/1636-anyone-using-a-btt-pi-tft43-v20/

I downloaded and checked out the .stl for the BTT screen housing. I had a few degenerate facets. I fixed it and reuploaded the model, so it should be error free now.

I don't have any experience with it, but recall a couple of threads on TeamFDM about the Waveshare version. From what i remember, it functions pretty much identical, and is very well liked.

I even modified my BTT display mount to fit the Waveshare version of the screen and uploaded it to Printables. They guy who asked me to mod the BTT housing to fit his Waveshare never got back to me to indicate if it actually fit correctly.

Since I did the CAD work relying on the Waveshare CAD model I downloaded, i was never able to verify for sure that the model fits. It's on Printables, nonetheless: https://www.printables.com/model/443708-waveshare-43-dsi-touch-screen-housing-for-voron-24

It looks like someone printed on and posted a make though. He said it fit.

From what I've read, the Waveshare 4.3 DSI is at least as good in quality as the BTT, maybe even better. If I remember right, it was Manny, in this thread who had the Waveshare screen. https://www.teamfdm.com/forums/topic/1636-anyone-using-a-btt-pi-tft43-v20/

I downloaded and checked out the .stl for the BTT screen housing. I had a few degenerate facets. I fixed it and reuploaded the model, so it should be error free now.

I will likely try the Waveshare display later on, this BTT seems quite nice.

Thanks for fixing those degenerate facets. I don't know if some slicers would have trouble with them, PS didn't seem to, aside from reporting that it fixed something.

The V2 stl printed beautifully on the MK4. The organic supports came off easily, much better than with the alpha slicer version I tried before on a different print. This display housing design is incredibly precise, unfortunately my BTT 4.3 is not, and I can't quite get it to fit. It looks like a couple of flat cables for the touch scanning near the right end of the bottom side are sticking out a couple of mm and there's nowhere for them to go. I tried pushing them in behind the display, and then filed some clearance there but it needs to be milled in deeper behind the display. A file isn't the right tool to make the required clearance. I'm tempted to mill it, but it would be a bit of a job to clamp and there's another job on the mill at the moment. A few mm clearance on all sides and a fascia that covers the gaps might be a safer approach with these electronics subassemblies, I don't think they are as precisely made as one would like. It fits like a glove, unfortunately my copy of the display has warts. :)

1684800214905.png

I will likely try the Waveshare display later on, this BTT seems quite nice.

Thanks for fixing those degenerate facets. I don't know if some slicers would have trouble with them, PS didn't seem to, aside from reporting that it fixed something.

The V2 stl printed beautifully on the MK4. The organic supports came off easily, much better than with the alpha slicer version I tried before on a different print. This display housing design is incredibly precise, unfortunately my BTT 4.3 is not, and I can't quite get it to fit. It looks like a couple of flat cables for the touch scanning near the right end of the bottom side are sticking out a couple of mm and there's nowhere for them to go. I tried pushing them in behind the display, and then filed some clearance there but it needs to be milled in deeper behind the display. A file isn't the right tool to make the required clearance. I'm tempted to mill it, but it would be a bit of a job to clamp and there's another job on the mill at the moment. A few mm clearance on all sides and a fascia that covers the gaps might be a safer approach with these electronics subassemblies, I don't think they are as precisely made as one would like. It fits like a glove, unfortunately my copy of the display has warts. :)

View attachment 448638

On my Pi TFT43 V2.0, i dont remember seeing any ribbon cables like that.

If I remember right, mine had the cables routed through the PCB on the back. Is your the Pi TFT43 V2.0, or perhaps an early version or something?

Edit: I went and looked. Mine does have that ribbon cable, it's just really tight, like its painted on. And on mine, the glass face is a the widest part. It slightly overhangs all of the warts and protrusions.

I can modify the .stl for you, add some clearance, if you need. Let know what dimensions you need, and ill make the adjustments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind offer. I used the features of Prusa Slicer to subtract a cutout shape, reprinted and it drops in now. I gave it a bit more clearance than was needed to reduce the chance of a third print. I haven't done the complete assembly yet but it looks good so far. Apparently they use double sided sticky foam to put these together and they just didn't get the cables tight on this unit at final assembly. I'll have to find some proper screws and see about installing it fully to be sure.

This is a BTT Pi TFT43 V2.0 that came with the LDO Voron Trident 250 kit so it is not very old. There are four flat cables across the bottom, the center and left ones are very tight, but the two on the right end for the touch screen are the ones that stick out about 2mm. It looks like the glass on mine is slightly offset upward as well so it forces the display frame downward toward these cables and reduces what little clearance there otherwise should be.

Back