Thin walled aluminum drum

That's actually the part that worried me. Its such a thin dent. Most substances don't like to be thinned out that much, and usually not fanned out to nothing. That outside edge will usually flake off.
Bondo, on the other hand, it's designed to be sanded out to nothing. And it dries hard. As long as it will stick to the aluminum, that should be the easiest way to go. And cheapest. AAND I don't have to tear the machine down to do it. Perfect. Cause it's a busy machine right now. It's probably seen over 100' of belts in the past few weeks.

If I where going to use bondo or any epoxy, I would drill a couple of holes to hold it better. But I think the belt running over it will wear it off

its not a belt, its a wrap. On these sanders the drum is wrapped like a barber pole.

Hmmm. Its in the first 1/3 of the belt that tends to not move much. But that is a concern. Any way to seal bondo?

Forget about taking a "skin cut". Leave the OD alone. Just patch it with epoxy filler.

I think the low melt aluminum rods work and adhere good--you can try them on some thin walled aluminum tubing easily---usual the kit comes with a stainless brush and you can use a fine flap disc on an angle grinder to finish area if you are good with your hands---Dave

I had a Performax dual drum sander that was similar to that. I would go the Bondo or JB Weld route, I think it would hold up fine. You can sand it flush by hand using a block, in a minute. I would be concerned about kick back trying to feed a sandpaper covered board into the drum.

This was great, guys. Thanks so much. I'm gonna try the bondo first. I'm not going to drill holes, i will rough it up with some heavy sand paper and I'll raise some edges scoring it with a knife.
I will sand it with a block and maybe before I start I'll sand a piece of wood on the drum to obtain it's radius and I can use that to smooth it all out.
I'll let you know how it goes!

I never liked the performax sanders. My boss has one. I don't care for their design. He has a similar 18" open ended sander line mine. Also, his has a lot of flex due to the way it's built. Quite unreliable.
1114416_424406fa2e3bded4f0fdf2c35d6fdbe5.jpg

However, I assume a dual drum is supported on both sides with a set sanding width.
I would like a dual drum, tho... It would be nice to level and finish on one machine rather than two.

Back