This place is amazing!

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have to take a moment and just say what an amazing group of folks you are.

On your own, you’re a bottomless well of experience that is freely shared.

Compared to other groups I frequent the difference is astounding. I have been witness to a shaming on another machinist forum. It’s absolutely appalling.

If my only experience was that forum I might have never bought a lathe.

So thank you all for sharing freely and graciously.
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave . We all LOVE to help you and others to spend their $$$$ . Congrats on your lathe , we know it was a drawn out process . We also look forward to your upcoming adventures , cuz you're just getting your feet wet ! :big grin:

Haha! Mike, oh you've got me a number of times too! And that Albrecht I got, I blame you even though you had nothing to do with the purchase. Every time I see an Albrecht chuck I think of you. When I purchased that one, my first thought was "can't wait to show @mikey"! :D

Like Dave said, "we all love to help you spend your money"! That's our motto around here.

I'm also very new here and couldn't agree with you more ! Everyone has their own way they like to do something or a brand machine they think is best they'll let you know what it is and others will tell you too but no bad mouthing of anything or anyone . Maybe everyone was told by their mom like I did when growing up . " If you don't have anything good to say then DON'T " And yes they do a good job helping me spend my $$ lo

(rant: ON)
I am the grumpy old curmudgeon here who tries to offer options for NOT spending all our money on shiny new trinkets, when appropriate. We will very soon be moving to a new (to us) house (closes escrow tomorrow!) and will be building a nice shop out back with the money I did NOT spend on stuff I didn't really need to get my hobby projects done. Nearly all my tools and machines were previously owned, only bought when the prices and quality were at their best, and considered likely to be useful over time. I love to spend time turning other peoples neglected junk into my treasures. My dad taught me how to not spend money, and did not take his "cushion" with him when he passed. A small portion of his legacy will also be invested in our new shop. My new (and first) wife is also quite frugal (no surprise there), and we do not like the words "loan" and "mortgage" which can suck you dry over time. "Fortune is infatuated with the efficient." "Live within your means." We can have incredible fun in life without ever stretching our budgets...
(rant: OFF :))

I have to take a moment and just say what an amazing group of folks you are.

On your own, you’re a bottomless well of experience that is freely shared.

Compared to other groups I frequent the difference is astounding. I have been witness to a shaming on another machinist forum. It’s absolutely appalling.

If my only experience was that forum I might have never bought a lathe.

So thank you all for sharing freely and graciously.
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rant I added above in no way is a comment about your wonderful post that started off this thread. You are absolutely correct, a group of people working together to help each other is a truly wonderful thing, and we are truly blessed to have such a wonderful forum to interact on, and feeling comfortable while doing so. Thanks to everyone who makes it so!

We will very soon be moving to a new (to us) house (closes escrow tomorrow!) and will be building a nice shop out back with the money I did NOT spend on stuff I didn't really need to get my hobby projects done.

It's really nice to know that life is going well with your new wife, Bob. Congratulations on the new house (and shop)! :clapping:

I think a large part of that is keeping the forum politics free. Politics poisons everything.

I believe I have seen posts here from a large percentage of the countries in the world and they certainly come from people with a diverse political views but that isn't important to making chips and possibly some usable parts.

Back