This place is amazing!

This is a great community. I am gratified that you have figured that out so quickly! I have learned so much here and look forward to learning more every day as I check in.
Robert

I have been witness to a shaming on another machinist forum. It’s absolutely appalling.
If my only experience was that forum I might have never bought a lathe.

....if my only experience was that I'd likely spend no time on the web!

I'm sure glad I wandered in here!!
Easy to get lost though

Enjoy every minute of being lost here!
I sure do.

-brino

I'm in full agreement with David. I've recently suggested to some newbies on that other site that they would be better received (and treated) over here.

Regarding Bob's post, I learned similar lessons from my father, but not by example. He was a grasshopper who lived by the adage "If you can't be a good example, settle for being a dire warning." He once told me "If you can buy something on credit, do. It's almost like getting it free." He died with $700 dollars in his pocket and 7 grandchildren. If I can't pay cash for it, I don't need it.

I saw your suggestion over there and the challenging response to it. Which baffles me because why would they object to you trying to help someone that they don’t want to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using online forums for quite some time in areas other than machining. I probably landed in my first forum and most of them since much the same way a lot of people landed here. I was looking for an answer to a question and searched the web. Mind you that first one was way before google was a search engine. I believe in that first forum I found the answer to my question but it raised several others that I asked and promptly got my head chewed off for asking something "stupid". So now when I seek and answer and find it answered I read through posts to see how others have been received. If they are received like I was in that first forum, I go back to google looking for somewhere else with the answer. It is a very rare occurrence that I join a forum now and I usually spend a couple days lurking before I do an introduction and ask a question.

When I came here I also ended up at some other forums which I never got beyond answering the question I had because it seemed everyone was a bit too full of themselves. I had no such reservations here and have found a ton of information and hopefully shared what little knowledge I have with everyone, hopefully I have upheld the standards of the forum.

I can be a bit of a snark sometimes and lack an effective filter on it. But I try.

Just for fun, go on the AR15 forum and say you are using a non-military spec lubricant on your rifle! It's like poking a hornets nest....
Robert

Last edited:
Back