[How do I?] Thoughts on simply scraping a part flat (efficiently)

Rex,
Watching you so soon after the class is bitter sweet.
Having a Biax saves so much time!
You know what you need to do but it’s not easy. Getting mad, forgetting the rules and working to get the low spots so they are high spots while maintaining a flat plane (hinging every blue up) is the magic of the process.
I am enjoying this!
Bob and Mr. King both mentioned the stones.
The reason I mentioned stoning my almost perfect angle plate was because Chris (short hair) found out he got better results using a regular wedge shop stone vs. the precision stones.
My assumption was, when you are greater than 20 points and you rub on a dry spot, there are the shiny points. In my case, the shiny points are not perfect, there are voids. I was thinking I could take a precision stone and it would touch up the shiny points.
In reality, it looks like they will not cut at all, only a lonely burr.

I actually contacted Dapra. Only $3,475 for the one I want. That's just for the scraper. The tooling is not included.
Hand scraping is in my future. Besides, that's what they did before Columbus discovered electricity. :)

Heh, comments before I even had a chance to explain what I was doing (or trying to do).

If you watch the first closeup video, you can see me giving an initial markup to see where it was bearing, and indicating to see how deep the lowest spot was.

The pits were about 0.0035” deep, but the rest of the plate seemed pretty flat to begin with. I didn't bother putting the whole thing on my granite plate to indicate for real, but just locally indicating over the surface it appeared the rest of the plate was within about a thou or so of flat.

As Rich said, three and half thou is a lot, so I was trying to do very heavy roughing: no gaps between the lines, long strokes, and no blue ups until you’ve scraped off all the yellow. I could and (probably should) have gone even heavier but I did want to show how things were progressing. It's not easy doing and showing at the same time.

While I could have gone slightly longer, I lengthened my stroke to about a half inch before I started and left it there throughout the entire session. I don’t like going much longer than that because it’s so easy to catch an edge.

In the beginning of the second closeup video (plate scrape 2) you see me give the bearing areas some extra attention, then covering the entire surface from both directions. It’s easier to read the markup after you create the checkerboard pattern at least once (you get points in the markup, not smears).

The first “real” markup was at about 7s in. It showed pretty much the same contour but I was more confident in the result.

Next I started what Rich referred to as “blind” “paint scraping”. From 7s to 12s in the video you see me trying to go slow enough that my strokes are touching. I did crosses rather than circles because I find it easier to go straight down rather than creating holes (I’m trying to get the entire surface down to the bottom of those small pits, but since it started out relatively flat I wanted to scrape as evenly as possible). It’s “blind” because I do multiple passes just scraping off all the yellow without blueing up.

I had the the scraper cranked up to full speed, but my old biax has a steel casing and weighs about twice as much as the modern ones. In my defense, it’s HARD to go slow enough to keep the scrapes touching and still keep things even and scrape straight down.

At 12s in you see me checking my progress. The pits were now only 0.002” deep so I was almost halfway there. Then I did the same blind process again and got it within about a thou (you can see me checking at 19s).

Only then did I stop attacking the entire surface and start going after areas of blue only, still with heavy crosses. Now I’m removing all the areas of blue (black) ink only, not the entire surface.

I called it a day shortly afterward as I was still pretty tired from last week, and both the plate and the scraper are pretty dang heavy. With only a shallow hole remaining in the middle I should be able to complete the roughing and get to 5 PPI over the entire surface with only another couple passes.

Regarding the stones: they removed the burrs quickly for me which is all I really was asking of them. I accidentally gave away my last small Cherry brand Japanese oilstone at the class without realizing it. I’ve got a broken small wedge shaped one, but on a 10x15 surface the larger stones seemed easier and quicker to me. Anyway, not sure what the concern is with my stones. I saw and felt burrs before stoning and didn't after — what more would you want?

I aim to get the entire surface looking like Chris’s angle plate, but the larger surface will likely take (considerably) longer. I’ve only spent a few hours roughing so far.

Lastly, I’ve got reasonably thick skin, but I’d love to see someone else publish their scraping progress for public criticism. It’s hardly fair that I'm the only one with my posterior in the wind. <laugh>

Rex,
I apologize if I in any way I criticized you.
I have nothing but respect for you and your abilities.
The first blue up that had dark blue scattered specs looked very familiar to me. That's when I should have been measuring my depth of high points and the lows. I had a ways to go and I started taking off the blue only. Seems kind of silly now that i look back on it.
Please continue showing us your progress.
You know what to do. It took me way too long to figure it out, but I got there in the end.
Thank you,
Jeff

I apologize if I in any way I criticized you.

LOL! Nah, criticism was the wrong word. I was just surprised that you and Rich already commented before I had a chance to explain what I was trying to do. It took more time to prep, photograph/video, edit, and write up than it did to scrape to this point!

I actually contacted Dapra. Only $3,475 for the one I want. That's just for the scraper. The tooling is not included.
Hand scraping is in my future.

Try humping my Biax around for a few hours. The price of a new one seems more and more reasonable. There's a used on on ebay right now for about a quarter of the price of a new one....

You know, I've never thought about the filming and the editing.
I have never gone down that road.
I assumed it just happened, film -post-collect youtube money?

I was thinking I could take a precision stone and it would touch up the shiny points.
I was thinking I could take a precision stone and it would touch up the shiny points.
Precision stones will take off high spots, though very slowly if the high spot has more area than 1/8" square or so. They will polish all the coplanar high spots.

I actually contacted Dapra. Only $3,475 for the one I want.
I got my ancient Biax for $175 (I think) from one of our kind guys, a H-M member. It needed a little help, but is working well now, with no new money invested in getting it running like new. It came with a case and a bunch of Biax tooling. It is much heavier and bulkier than the newer ones, but it does not have as much vibration and jumpiness, and better dampens the rebounding from the cutter biting into the work. It's greater mass and larger size also makes it easier to control. In short, I find it more stable, though the newer models are also quite usable. It is probably 40++ years old, and looks like it has been kicked around the world by a soccer player, or worse yet, maybe even by a machine rebuilder. It still works just fine. It is the only one I want. Where there is a will there is a way.

You know, I've never thought about the filming and the editing.

Exactly how I used to think (not think) about the laundry. Then I noticed the laundry fairies never seem to show when my wife is away.

I was busy this morning and tied up a bit with contractors this afternoon, but I got a few more passes in. My back is about done so I'll probably take an R&R day tomorrow.

I got a little smarter today and swapped cameras: iPhone for wide-angle time lapse and SLR for the overhead shots. I forgot to change the aperture after changing lenses though, so my depth of field is pretty narrow but still pretty clear.

I'll upload today's progress shortly. Status: pretty close to done with roughing, everything within a thou, ready to shorten my stroke with just a few areas with no points (marked below).

Back