Thoughts on Tormach pcnc-440?

@RJSakowski what are you running for edge finding or probing of your stock? They have a lot of options, though this machine did come with one of the analog units (Haimer?) I’d like something a bit more automated.

I use a plain old mechanical edge finder. I use it because it always references to the spindle axis and, with care I am repeatable to +/1 .0001". The Haimer is supposed to be one of the better solutions although their tips are fragile and expensive. There is a crash resistant electronic probe from New Zealand that is supposed to be quite good but I nave no personal experience with it. https://hallmarkdesign.co.nz/probe. If I were to buy an electronic touch probe, it would probably be that one.

For z axis, I use a tenths reading digital dial indicator and I have the TTS tool package. My indicator is tool 0 in the tool table and I zero it on the mill and set the DRO zero and zero it on the height gage so all my tools are referenced to it.

Probing is cool, one of the best features I think. I use a probe probably more than any other tool. I use it for WCS setting, measurements and inspection, I have verified that mine is within .0005 error which is good enough for me, I use the ITTP (impact tolerant touch probe) saves $ in my opinion on broken tips that are around &45-$100 ea. Had the Tormach model and Even the Tormach passive probe can be pretty accurate Less than .001 when adjusted correctly. There are a few other options that work with PP, Drewtronics has a less expensive option that may not be as accurate but works for many And a gentleman in the U.K. has developed a accessory to go wireless if that’s your preference

an accessory for it to be wireless is available from xoomspeed, David loomes But it’s a little expensive at 275gbp.

No not at all, 440 has everything required for passive probes, the 770 and 1100 can use either passive or active type probes which like the ETS the 440 can not use either, but there’s passive ETS available also

I see the passive probe... .015" repeatability? That's pretty rough, but I'm not so sure about using jog dial & a piece of paper to roughly guesstimate x,y,z...is that how it's done?? Got a lot to learn I admit.

that’s .015mm or .00059” it is definitely repeatable to .001” at least that has been my experience. The paper, or feeler gauge trick works well once you get the hang of it, there are some good you tube videos on it, I’ll find a link. A 1-2-3 block works well for setting tool length offsets.

this video is worth watching on edge finders,

Last edited:
OH MAN! My bad! Did that say mm not inch. I'm just so darn used to always reading inch anymore...I've actually tried to switch over from my metric ways as inch seems to be more widely used in the US of A. Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, definitely can work with .015 mm
Thanks @burtonbr !

@matthewsx fubny you posted that, the path pilot computer with the Tormach runs Linux which is ALL NEW to me.

Yep,

Linux, the software you use every day without knowing it. Pretty much everything on the Internet is running on some flavor of Linux. My Ubuntu desktop is just as good as my Mac and better than my Windows machine.

LinuxCNC will run off a USB thumb drive if you want to try it out. I don't know anything about Fusion360 but I know enough about software companies to doubt that anyone not using an open source license is giving away "free" software.

John

Back