Thread Mic and Internal Threading

You're welcome. Hope it helps you to bore better.

I am not suggesting that you buy an Aloris tool post! I do, however, suggest you buy an Aloris AXA 4D if you plan to do a lot of boring. And yes, it will fit your import AXA tool post. The boring bar holder you show in your pics is the typical import type that pushes against the bar at just two points with cotters; those cotters contact a steel sleeve inside the bore of the holder. This is not a secure way to hold a boring bar and will contribute to chatter in the bore. In contrast, the Aloris 4D squeezes down on the entire bar so that it cannot move once it is locked down. The only way to get it more solid is to use a heat shrink bar holder. As I said in the article, the holder is more important than the bar and it is worth buying or making a really good one.

The 4D also allows you to make sleeves to fit your smaller bars into it, making it possible to use every boring bar you have in one holder. Not sure that its practical to do that for your really small bars and it might be better to make a tool holder out of aluminum with a smaller bore in the holder to fit smaller bars. I suggest a 3/8" bore if you do this.

There are a number of reasons why a drill will drill oversize. The main one is because the geometry is off. If you take a drill gauge to your drills you will find that many drills are not ground dead on symmetrical, especially imported sets. What brand of drills are you using and are they jobber drills? Other reasons include drills that are not sharp, have improper relief angles, excessive web thickness (required more feed pressure to cut, which can exacerbate any asymmetry in the geometry) and then there is the human factor.

One of the key human factors is improper feed. I know drilling a hole may not seem like a big deal but for all cutting tools, performance is enhanced when the tool cuts continuously but without being forced into the cut. This is a feel thing. You must feed so there is a slight positive resistance to the feed so the tool cuts as efficiently as it can. This also allows the chip clearance features of the tool to work as they should. I have seen so many guys crank on the feed pressure as much as they can, thinking that is the right way to go. The drill comes out of the hole smoking hot and they wonder why their drills don't last long. My drills are almost cool to the touch after drilling but they cut fast and they stay sharp. The trick is to slow down the speed a little bit and feed properly. This allows the drill to cut accurately and your hole sizes will be closer to what they should be.

I'm not surprised your reamer produced an oversized hole but as to why, I can only guess. I suspect that your pre-reamer hole was not straight and not consistently sized for the reasons discussed above. The reamer will try to follow that hole and if it cannot follow precisely then it will cut oversized as it cuts off the bends in the hole.

Another reason for reaming oversize is improper speeds and technique. You will find that for reamers above about 3/8", it is best to slow down. I run my reamers at about 100 rpm and again, feed so that there is a slight positive resistance to feed. I do not bottom out the reamer and I stop the machine when I finish the infeed before withdrawing the reamer; I do not retract the reamer with the machine running. I have reamers that are nearly 30 years old and are still sharp and accurate so this works for me.

The level of the lathe can have an impact on boring but it will be minimal. Most of your results are so oversized that I suspect the quality of your tools and the way you're using them is having more of an impact. The good thing is that this is easy to fix ... buy good tools and learn to use them well. Please know that I'm not criticizing you or dissing your stuff. I'm simply pointing out that you are trying to do precision work and that requires a realistic approach.

Okay, tired of typing.

Ok, it definitely seems like an Aloris AXA-4d will be my best option and from there I can make multiple adapters. The slowest my lathe goes is 150 rpms which sucks. I did run my reamer out with the lathe on but I don’t believe that would’ve taken another .012” of material.

I believe my reamer is a pretty good one, it’s solid carbide as well. The drill bit used isn’t a jobber drill, it’s coated ti or something and I bought it the other day just for this from menards. It cut pretty well, and when drilling I always like to keep an even light pressure on the tailstock, and keep the feed rate slower but still continuously cutting.

If the leveling doesn’t effect it much would tailstock alignment? I purchased a mt4 to mt3 adapter for my spindle so I can put identical dead center in the tail stock and spindle. Then I can use a dial indicator to check alignment.

I was going over your boring thread again (as I have many times lol) and I need a boring bar before I can finish profiling the inside of the baffle cones. But anyway I saw you suggested the CSBI-250, I like the fact that it is solid carbide and won’t deflect as much. Also it seems like the best all in one bar for smaller and even some larger holes. I’ve been looking at them on eBay but how do u tell the rake angle and lead angle?

Yes, tailstock alingment can cause issues with drilling accuracy on the lathe. If you are not dead sure the lathe is level and the tailstock is aligned then its time to do some work. If you don't know how, raise it on the forum.

I recommended the CCBI-250-5R. This is a carbide bar. The CSBI is steel and I don't recommend that. The CCBI series are positive lead bars; the 5R part means it has a 5 degree positive lead angle and the R means it is a right hand bar. This bar can go about 2.5" deep so you need at least 2-4" to go into the holder so look for a 4-6" long bar.

The reason I asked what brand of drill you were using is because import drills are often not ground accurately. The jobber query was because jobber drills are quite long and flexible; a screw machine drill might be better - look up the differences.

If you dont already use it, sch-40 PVC pipe works great as a practice material to help work out the process. Its cheap and plentiful and cuts nice enough for semi-fine detail work and did i mention its easily acquired!

Yes, tailstock alingment can cause issues with drilling accuracy on the lathe. If you are not dead sure the lathe is level and the tailstock is aligned then its time to do some work. If you don't know how, raise it on the forum.

I recommended the CCBI-250-5R. This is a carbide bar. The CSBI is steel and I don't recommend that. The CCBI series are positive lead bars; the 5R part means it has a 5 degree positive lead angle and the R means it is a right hand bar. This bar can go about 2.5" deep so you need at least 2-4" to go into the holder so look for a 4-6" long bar.

The reason I asked what brand of drill you were using is because import drills are often not ground accurately. The jobber query was because jobber drills are quite long and flexible; a screw machine drill might be better - look up the differences.
Well, I do know my lathe isn't leveled but that's because my lathe is sitting on a tool cabinet with rollers. I was either going to make leveling feet or eventually get a lathe stand from grizzly. The tailstock is pretty well aligned but not dead nutz.

I was looking on ebay and I couldn't find a CCBI 1/4" over 4", but i did find some other carbide shaft bars. It would be nice to have one that uses CCMT inserts because i already have alot of them and you can get em cheaper than CDCD inserts. These were the best ones that were on ebay
1/4" CARBIDE BAR 6" OAL
5/16" Carbide bar, takes CCMT Oal 5-3/8
Kennametal 5/16" Carbide bar CDCD Oal 6"
CCBI-250 Oal 4"
Solid carbide bar 7mm

The grind on the drill bit i used seemed to be good but its only an import. Its a smaller bit and isn't flexible at all.

Last edited:
If you dont already use it, sch-40 PVC pipe works great as a practice material to help work out the process. Its cheap and plentiful and cuts nice enough for semi-fine detail work and did i mention its easily acquired!

No I’ve never tried pipe in my lathe, I wouldn’t think it would turn well. If it does it would be nice to practice id threading before the suppressor tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I’ve never tried pipe in my lathe, I wouldn’t think it would turn well. If it does it would be nice to practice id threading before the suppressor tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you will find it a nice substitute. Sch 80 is thicker walled but not as cheap nor as easily found but works just as well, maybe even better.

Sch80 is available as electrical conduit in the local big box stores here. I like it for learning as it's easy on tools.

Sch80 is available as electrical conduit in the local big box stores here. I like it for learning as it's easy on tools.
I went to home depot today and picked up some sch 40 black pipe they didn't have any sch 80.

I was referring to the PVC sch 40 PLASTIC pipe. I am sure you could get some practice with the black pipe but its not nearly as forgiving which to me is very helpful when in "Learning" mode.

Well, I do know my lathe isn't leveled but that's because my lathe is sitting on a tool cabinet with rollers. I was either going to make leveling feet or eventually get a lathe stand from grizzly. The tailstock is pretty well aligned but not dead nutz.

I was looking on ebay and I couldn't find a CCBI 1/4" over 4", but i did find some other carbide shaft bars. It would be nice to have one that uses CCMT inserts because i already have alot of them and you can get em cheaper than CDCD inserts. These were the best ones that were on ebay
1/4" CARBIDE BAR 6" OAL
5/16" Carbide bar, takes CCMT Oal 5-3/8
Kennametal 5/16" Carbide bar CDCD Oal 6"
CCBI-250 Oal 4"
Solid carbide bar 7mm

The grind on the drill bit i used seemed to be good but its only an import. Its a smaller bit and isn't flexible at all.

You should level your lathe, period. I would suggest doubling or tripling the thickness of your current top, laminating the wood so you have a solid base. It needs to be inset inside the lip on top of the chest if there is a raised lip. Get it solid, then level the lathe on top of that. Even if you move the base cabinet it shouldn't alter the lathe level too much. Get it level, get the tailstock aligned, or you will not be able to do precision work.

This bar that you linked to is the one I use but his may have grinding marks on it. I would ask him to send you pics of the two he has on sale so you can decide if you want it. He started out with 9 of these exact bars, seems like he has sold 7 of them. The advantage to this bar is that it uses either 0.007" or 0.002" nose radius flat top inserts with positive axial rake. Of course, you have to wait until they show up on ebay or pay retail but this is an awesome geometry. The other thing to do is to be patient and wait; another will show up eventually. The hard thing is that since I published that boring article, you are now competing with all the other guys!

As for the other bars, read the article I wrote and think about the geometry a bit and then make your choice. I certainly cannot choose for you. You might also start a thread and ask the guys. I know the SCLCR boring bars are popular because there are a ton of cheap bars sold in sets. The guys will be able to tell you how well they work.

If your drill bit is small, it is flexible, especially a jobber drill. A screw machine drill of the same diameter will be shorter and, consequently, stiffer.

Back