Time is running out (California folk)

Yes, we can never run out of water. Or trees. Or fossil fuels. Or buffalo. Or food.

That’s how my firewood storage works. I burn 5 sticks, go back tomorrow, 10 more in their place. If burning makes water, why does it not put out the flame?

The same reason it doesn't get put out when you burn gasoline. All that "smoke" out your tailpipe on a cold morning is actually steam. All burning of hydrocarbons result in mostly CO2 and H20.

For hydrogen, someone puts a lot of energy into splitting water into H2 and O2. Then you transfer the H2 to your vehicle, via a tank, then inject it into a cylinder just like any other ICE engine. The H2 oxidizes in the presence of the air that was mixed with it, releasing some of the energy that was invested to break it apart from the oxygen in the first place.

I thought water was the problem. Or will be. We need to deplete the planet's water supply by some reckonings. Snag.

Remember the Honda CRX I think it was... 60mpg... but they said it couldn't pass the emissions. At 60mpg it's doubling most other cars still.
I had a honda accord lxi and I was getting 33mpg in 1987 on the highway, higher than the rating and generally at 80mph up to VT and back everyweek.
Had a 89 crx 60mpg idk about that. A Honda crx was my first car which was a hamidown from my older sister. She had bought new in 89 and sold to me in 93 with only 20k on her.
Granted I was 16 but no way did it get 60mpg. I do remember gas was .98c and 5bucks in the tank would get me all week. Iirc it would get around 40-42mpg. Great car wish I still had her!

I have a Mikita 12V battery powered drill that I absolutely love. It's older, obviously, being 12V, but it works perfectly...except for crap battery support.

A few years back, when I needed a new battery, I hit up Amazon and bought a generic, which worked great. This repeated again, and good results again. The batteries last maybe 3-5 years.

Earlier this year, it was battery time again so I ordered an Amazon generic, and it was junk. Returned them (two pack) and bought a different brand...and junk again. A real deal Mikita battery costs $100, and a new Makita drill is same...so can't see spending that much for a battery.

In the end, I wound up buying a new Milwaukee drill. It cost me quite a bit, but it came with two batteries, which I'm sharing with other tools.

This left a bad taste in my mouth, and overshadowed ideas of an electric lawn mower purchase. I don't even want to know how much a high powered lawn mower battery will cost. Plus, all the electric mowers I've seen are "plastic fantastic", which doesn't sit well on a machine that's going to be used hard and stored on the porch.

So, I bought gasoline. Hate me if you wish, but this machine will, hopefully, be the last I ever buy.

I remember watching a news show investigator interviewing a landscape business owner that tried out electric on three of his trucks. Initial investment was crazy between the equipt and batteries. I forgot the numbers of batteries he had to have to get a days work in on one truck let alone the three. Then the constant hassle of having them all charged for the next day. Batteries going bad, replacement cost on and on. On the other hand he has the rest of fleet operating seamless on dreaded dinosaur juice.

I’m not a hater I took the plunge back in 19 and got the wife a Chevy bolt. And to be honest it’s not a bad car once you get past the cheap gm car interiors and products. Wife drives less than 50miles a day works perfect for her. BUT we have my gas car or cars. You cannot live “as we do” going places,traveling,vacations,hauling, recreations,etc without petroleum, gas, dinosaur juice. Car battery doesn’t do well in cold. Basically leave car plugged in overnight to heat battery and have a full charge. Not only do you have to plan your day but you have to plan for what you’re gonna do tomorrow. You need to plan a lot which from what I see of modern society that ain’t gonna happen.

About four years ago I ended up buying my mother a ryobi 40v mower, blower and wacker. My father had past and she has a city lot 75’x150’ to maintain which she likes doing but pulling the mower to get started was hard so I figured it was a win,win for me. Got her three batteries and away she went loves them. BUT I have had to replace two of those batteries already. Between her leaving them on the charger all the time or it’s was their time to let out the smoke they don’t last. I’ve had to go over there when she’s away to cut the grass you CANNOT wait two weeks to cut. One week interval you need two 40v batteries to cut a city lot 75’x150’ with a house and garage. Two weeks you get three quarters done can’t trim or blow and have to come back the next day. Ask me how I know? And the cut looked like **** I basically recut it that next day. They have their place but again you need to plan. And guess what I’m getting mom for Christmas. New batteries at 110 a pop. So if your keeping track 3 batteries to start replaced two and getting two more. We will be at SEVEN come dec25th. Just to make it easy we will do a hundred buck each that’s seven hundred dollars in batteries in four now five years. Will get to six maybe not likely seven with the new ones. That’s crazy!!

The point of all this is idk I personally think they’re cool they have a place but they have a looonngg way to go to “replace dinasaur juice”. I also think the cost of battery from ground to some storage field in the desert is a touch more than petro. We don’t know the effects of it yet we are the test.
What I do know is follow the money it’s all about the money in the end. Whatever agenda they wanna push is controlled by the dollar in some way.

Anyone interested look at the Tesla semi. Has not met expectations. Look at gross vehicle weight to payload it can haul.

Shouldn't someone sell a gas mower with an electric start (i.e a motor and battery to get the thing started without pulling). This way everyone is happy. Schmott, no?

Many years ago, my Dad had a mower where you wound up a spring and then released the spring to start the mower. It was easy enough to wind the spring so even a little kid could do it. I haven't seen one of those in probably more than fifty years though.

our mower is electric start gas motor. also has the motor driving the wheels.
works great.

Back