Time is running out (California folk)

Pssst- hey buddy, wanna buy a mower? Step over to my van I got mowers, leaf blowers, generators..

I stopped off at a hole in the wall mower repair shop in my area, that serves a lot of the pro gardeners. The owner told me that a lot of his customers are driving to neighboring states to buy equipment. Apparently, many of the manufacturers, like Honda, dumped their field reps, and parts are hard to come by also.

Regarding generators, I got the date wrong. They are banned in 2028. Gas water heaters are banned in 2027. And then there are stoves, and house heaters...I'm not sure when.

"According to the California Air Resources Board (CARB), California is banning the sale of gas-powered lawnmowers by 2024 because operating a commercial one for an hour “emits as much smog-forming pollution as driving the best-selling 2016 passenger car, a Toyota Camry, about 300 miles – approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.”* Furthermore, CARB concluded that one hour of using a commercial leaf blower is equivalent to driving 1100 miles from LA to Denver!

"Leaf-blowers and lawnmowers are classified as Small Off-road Engines, or SORES. As of 2017, there were nearly 16.5 million SORE’s in California, which was greater than the 13.7 million light-duty passenger cars in the state. SORE’s are responsible for serious health risks, according to the law’s sponsors, as they emit high levels of reactive organic gases (ROG), particulate matter (PM) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Not only are these emissions harmful to those operating this equipment, they’re also harmful to neighborhoods and the environment at large."

The ban applies to engines 25 hp and under.

When I was a kid we had rakes and push mowers. Using a push mower will make you think seriously about tearing out the lawn and planting rocks, which would help with the water situation.

During the public comment phase of this bill, we raised hell about the inclusion of generators since there are no viable alternatives and we are subject to more frequent and longer power outages. That seems to have had the desired effect, though generators will be required to meet much more stringent requirements. Just like cars, the manufacturers will find a way to meet the requirements. The technology already exists for larger engines. Stihl has already developed a 4-cycle chainsaw motor. The regulations do not apply to diesel or propane motors. Multi-fuel generators are already fairly common.

As an added benefit, this will give the haters and whiners one more reason to leave. It can't be soon enough for me, don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Hater and whiner here...

I'm inside a year to retirement, and while I can make it here in California, it pisses me off when they do stupid things like banning IC devices. Not to mention the sky-high taxes, on everything. California gasoline costs more than gas in Hawaii. Go figure?

"According to the California Air Resources Board (CARB), California is banning the sale of gas-powered lawnmowers by 2024 because operating a commercial one for an hour “emits as much smog-forming pollution as driving the best-selling 2016 passenger car, a Toyota Camry, about 300 miles – approximately the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.”* Furthermore, CARB concluded that one hour of using a commercial leaf blower is equivalent to driving 1100 miles from LA to Denver!

"Leaf-blowers and lawnmowers are classified as Small Off-road Engines, or SORES. As of 2017, there were nearly 16.5 million SORE’s in California, which was greater than the 13.7 million light-duty passenger cars in the state. SORE’s are responsible for serious health risks, according to the law’s sponsors, as they emit high levels of reactive organic gases (ROG), particulate matter (PM) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx). Not only are these emissions harmful to those operating this equipment, they’re also harmful to neighborhoods and the environment at large."

When I was a kid we had rakes and push mowers. Using a push mower will make you think seriously about tearing out the lawn and planting rocks, which would help with the water situation.

During the public comment phase of this bill, we raised hell about the inclusion of generators since there are no viable alternatives and we are subject to more frequent and longer power outages. That seems to have had the desired effect, though generators will be required to meet much more stringent requirements. Just like cars, the manufacturers will find a way to meet the requirements. The technology already exists for larger engines. Stihl has already developed a 4-cycle chainsaw motor. The regulations do not apply to diesel or propane motors. Multi-fuel generators are already fairly common.

As an added benefit, this will give the haters and whiners one more reason to leave. It can't be soon enough for me, don't let the door hit you in the ass.
Thank you for providing some factual info relevant to the topic.

Although this type of conversation has the potential of escalating into political talk it is relevant to members affected by the law.

It would be appreciated for anyone who wants to discuss things related to laws or regulations to provide links to them in the post.

Here it is.

As a former power equipment dealer I really don’t think this will be a big issue. The manufacturers have been working on compliant equipment for years, and, although the purchase price may rise some the maintenance costs should drop considerably.

We only have this one planet and I personally appreciate policy that aims to preserve it.

John

My last Weed Whacker was a 4 cycle... I almost broke my wrist many times trying to start it. It really needed a compression release but didn't have one. I would have to pull the spark plug and run it through many times... The battery weed whacker is nice... The 4 cycle would burn me since I am a lefty, my old 2 cycle which died after many years had the exhaust out the back, the 4cycle on the right, so me using it on the left would scorch me. The battery is quiet, and I don't come close to using up the 4ah battery. The Blower does suck up more AH, but I have not run it out.. I like it for going up on the roof too.

Hater and whiner here...

I'm inside a year to retirement, and while I can make it here in California, it pisses me off when they do stupid things like banning IC devices. Not to mention the sky-high taxes, on everything. California gasoline costs more than gas in Hawaii. Go figure?

My father was an attorney, mostly DUI and divorce cases.
One time he asked me "Do you know why divorces are so expensive?"
When I shook my head, he said "Because they're worth it!"

Perhaps it is OK to have an LP powered Generator. I have a dual fuel generator but so far have only run it on LP.
The i hard lp is band too.
But big engines are OK over 25 hp.
So you can buy a 25 hp weed Wacker.

Good new I already purchased good generator

Dave

Back