Tips on hand machining with a cold chisel.

If you get a mill/drill your chiselling days will be numbered ;)I am fairly sure
Keep your files though, filing is always needed sometime, somewhere
Do you have a small lathe? How difficult to find machine tools in Malaysia?
It's very common but mostly in mould making or engineering shop etc where people make bussines out of it instead of taking it as a hobby.Trust me when I said It ,i might be the only few people in malaysia who take it as a hobby.And yeah there's shop dedicated in selling machine tools but they are always hidden away in industrial site and not very visit friendly though.Anyway I will still keep my machining center tool box cuz when civilization fall they are much easier to carry around and need no power source except some elbow grease and a brain.

So you use a Dremel as a makeshift mill

Yes, A Dremel is relatively cheap and there are many different bits available for it. You will have at least as much precision as with a cold chisel.

Reactions: Koi
Sounds like you could have a machine shipped from China, a great deal of machines are made there
I'm sure there are many Chinese machines in Cambodia and Vietnam, perhaps you could purchase a used machine from there

Sounds like you could have a machine shipped from China, a great deal of machines are made there
I'm sure there are many Chinese machines in Cambodia and Vietnam, perhaps you could purchase a used machine from there
Why.we do have shops dealing with machine tools.But I know one because everything can been seen even from the outside.I have visited his shop once but only saw his worker sitting in front of the computer mustb be dealing with cnc stuff and he has a very heavy Beijing chinese accent unlike malaysian Chinese and I can hardly hear him .(just saying:))

Koi, the art of using a chisel to cut steel is as old as steel itself. The early craftsmen quickly found out that woodworking tools were not heavy enough for steel, however the technique is similar.

If you have a forge or even an oxy set you can make a good chisel out of an old car axle and springs, after hardening draw the temper so you can just file it. this will then cut any steel that you can file. Then practice, practice until you can get the result you need.

As mentioned before cut two thin slots with a dremel type tool slightly less than the width of the groove you want then using the chisel cut out the material between the slots, and finish with a file.

Koi, the art of using a chisel to cut steel is as old as steel itself. The early craftsmen quickly found out that woodworking tools were not heavy enough for steel, however the technique is similar.

If you have a forge or even an oxy set you can make a good chisel out of an old car axle and springs, after hardening draw the temper so you can just file it. this will then cut any steel that you can file. Then practice, practice until you can get the result you need.

As mentioned before cut two thin slots with a dremel type tool slightly less than the width of the groove you want then using the chisel cut out the material between the slots, and finish with a file.
Just made a makeshift forge burner .Made a hole with the die grinder as for the stove like thingy ,I got it from the cabinet It was rusting so I'm assuming no one's using it.slid in a holed cover at an angle so the charcoal won't come from the hole and
end up burning the hair dryer that I'm going to use as my blower

Attachments

• IMG_20190628_123556.jpg
    IMG_20190628_123556.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190628_123546.jpg
    IMG_20190628_123546.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 29
  • 1561696831282-2078688966.jpg
    1561696831282-2078688966.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Just made a makeshift forge burner .Made a hole with the die grinder as for the stove like thingy ,I got it from the cabinet It was rusting so I'm assuming no one's using it.slid in a holed cover at an angle so the charcoal won't come from the hole and

There you go, a quick, cheap homemade forge. All you have to do is find a disused car drive axle, or old spring even a torsion bar will work well, and make yourself a decent cold chisel. After hardening it, don't forget to draw the temper back to a medium straw colour, will depend a little bit on the steel. A good final check is if you can just file it, with a good sharp file, it's good to go.

We need video of you using that thing:applause 2:

Back