Tips on hand machining with a cold chisel.

It's quite a stupid way really but not dangerous though
And also failed the first time due to inexperience I forgot to heat it hot enough since it's hard steel causing the metal to crack upon hammering but succeeded the second time with another two chisels but I haven't quenched it yet. kept it soft for me
For easier machining .Did it by rough cutting
Out the shape with a die grinder and then file to a precise dimension .Btw those single cut carbide rotary file can make very sharp chips .The pain is not intense but in a way irritating :-(

There you go, a quick, cheap homemade forge. All you have to do is find a disused car drive axle, or old spring even a torsion bar will work well, and make yourself a decent cold chisel. After hardening it, don't forget to draw the temper back to a medium straw colour, will depend a little bit on the steel. A good final check is if you can just file it, with a good sharp file, it's good to go.
Thanks for the advice

We need video of you using that thing:applause 2:
First picture is the three chisel I have tried to forge . the one the right side was my first attempt tried to hammer and realise the chisel wasn't heat up hot enough causing crack to appear when I hammer it.The two on the left I consider them to be a successful forge after that I filed them down .The second picture shows that I'm preheating the charcoal and the makeshift forge burner to make sure moisture is driven out so I can start the forge easier.Following up is where I ignited the forge and then fed it with a hair dryer the chisel wasn't heat up completely the tip wasn't glowing but I'm just showing it's working.Didn't get to show you the picture of me hammering the chisels though and I
Even forgot to take a picture of me quenching.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_091419.jpg
    IMG_20190701_091419.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190701_093958.jpg
    IMG_20190701_093958.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190701_100056.jpg
    IMG_20190701_100056.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190701_093958.jpg
    IMG_20190701_093958.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190701_100153.jpg
    IMG_20190701_100153.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 23
  • VID_20190701_100120.mp4
    11.6 MB
Nice work, I think I may need to get myself a forge now :encourage:

Reactions: Koi
Nice work, I think I may need to get myself a forge now :encourage:
[/QUOTE
IT didn't cost me much bought the charcoal pack for like 20Myr and 15myr for the chisel
Hammer was readily available and I took an iron bar from a metal press in my dad's car servicing workshop.That's about 7 us dollars you could still make a bigger forge and it won't cost that much.

Can anybody teach me how to case harden the cchisel the easiest way I found out they weren't hard enough

Can anybody teach me how to case harden the cchisel the easiest way I found out they weren't hard enough
Koi,

Case hardening is not good enough fro a cold chisel. You need to start with a grade of steel that can be through hardened. As I have said before an old car or truck spring coil or leaf doesn't matter. Even a torsion bar, or drive shaft from an axle, will give you a suitable grade of steel, anneal it first then use your forge to heat and shape it.

When you have got the shape you want heat it up, just the sharp end, to cherry red, and quench in oil, when cool it will need to be tempered, that is to draw the hardness back until it is still hard enough to take a good edge, but not so hard that it is still brittle. If you can just, and I mean just, file it that is about as good as it gets. Finish sharpen it and presto you have a new chisel.

There are many you tube videos and instructables on how to make a cold chisel.

Just be careful when sharpening it keep the it cool frequent dipping in water to quench it. If the tip begins to colour, quench it and slow down keep it cool. Good luck.

Reactions: Koi
Koi,

Case hardening is not good enough fro a cold chisel. You need to start with a grade of steel that can be through hardened. As I have said before an old car or truck spring coil or leaf doesn't matter. Even a torsion bar, or drive shaft from an axle, will give you a suitable grade of steel, anneal it first then use your forge to heat and shape it.

When you have got the shape you want heat it up, just the sharp end, to cherry red, and quench in oil, when cool it will need to be tempered, that is to draw the hardness back until it is still hard enough to take a good edge, but not so hard that it is still brittle. If you can just, and I mean just, file it that is about as good as it gets. Finish sharpen it and presto you have a new chisel.

There are many you tube videos and instructables on how to make a cold chisel.

Just be careful when sharpening it keep the it cool frequent dipping in water to quench it. If the tip begins to colour, quench it and slow down keep it cool. Good luck.
Let's do it again
Btw what kind of advantages do I have
By making the bottom flat and parallel to the body of the chisel

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_091721.jpg
    IMG_20190701_091721.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
Back