To all the Texas Gulf Coast Members

Good luck Brad, hope the water recedes a bit. I guess the rain is still coming isn't it?

Thanks Alan, Yes it's still raining pretty good but not the deluge we were getting yesterday. I emptied my 6" rain gage 3 times yesterday and it was overflowing each time. I just checked and we have only had 2.5" so far today. The water has receded in our neighborhood at the moment to normal curbside levels you would expect with a 2" rain. The forecast looks better (for us at least) with the heavy rain supposedly moving more to the east over the next day or so. The flood waters seem to come up then go down just as fast here. Other parts of town seem to have the water staying at high levels depending upon what watershed they are in.

While I'm pinned down, it may be time to go put my stuff back in place and finish a lathe spider project I have been pecking at.

Glad to here BSS1 and Ken came out in good shape, I know there are others in the south area, I hope they are also. Looking at some of the pictures and stuff is bad. One are I go every year Port Aransas looks like a war zone from the pictures. And based on what the wife said they Mayor is saying almost 100 percent of the town had some damage.

We're not out of the woods yet. Our house is on the west side of the Guadalupe
River. We have only two accesses to get to our house from the main city of Victoria. Business 59 bridge in downtown Victoria has been closed since yesterday. And they just closed the other access HWY 77 on the north side. And more rain on the way!

I really feel bad for you guys in the Houston, Dickenson, Conroe ares. Rain water everywhere! And more on the way!

We live about 100 miles south of Ken in Victoria, on Lake Corpus Christi, and about 40 miles east of Corpus. We dodged the bullet on this one, very little rain and about 60-70 winds. The storm came in north of Corpus and hit Aransas Pass dead on. I have been thru every storm that hit the lower south Texas coast since 1944 but this storm moved extremely slow which became the dangerous part with creating so much rain fall as you'll have seen on the news with the towns and cities up the coast, especially Houston. Folks up in that area have been totally devastated and it's not over with yet. Please keep these folks in your prayers.
Thanks for your concerns Grumpy Gator and all the other forum members as well.

One of the most amazing things happened today. Our neighborhood was devastated by the Harvey floods. Over half of the houses got flooded. Most of our neighbors could be considered to be senior citizens, so this was an extra hardship. About 10:00 a bunch of cars and busses showed up full of high school kids from Friendswood High school. The kids swarmed the previously flooded houses and with permission of the owners, ripped up all the wet furniture, carpets, etc. They literally cleaned out houses in minutes. I guess I am going to have to take back some of the bad things I have said about today's youth.

This whole Harvey thing, although miserable, has brought out the best in my fellow Texans. Instead of whining for the government to help them. Houston mayor Turner seeing he had insufficient resources requested volunteers with small boats to help out. Volunteers and private businesses have showed up from all over (including out of state) with monster trucks, fishing boats, air boats, chainsaws, you name it; and have gone into affected areas and rescued people and animals from the floods. They have pretty much got the job done before FEAMA and the National Guard got organized and on site. I haven't heard anything yet about government malfeasance and ineptitude such as the debacle at the Super Dome during Katrina. Things just came together with a minimum of government control, mainly just Texans helping Texans . It one of those things that makes me proud to be a Texan.

Randy - a Texan by choice, not by birth

Randy, your observations are what I see from afar. I do have lots of friends and family in Houston and I have marveled at the way the folks have pitched in and helped one another without whining. There is a remarkable difference in the way things have gone down in Houston compared to another such disaster that we can remember that occured in another state.

My brother was forced evacuated from Kingswood yesterday morning early as his house was getting water in it. He had to leave everything including his vehicles and got out with a change of clothing for he and his wife. I am hoping they can get back there soon to see what they are up against. Of course the important thing is that they are safe and sound. BTW, there was an emergency response team from another state that pulled them out by boat.

Back