Tom’s Techniques knurler

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As the header says after using the bump knurler that came with 9x20 I started looking into other designs. The one that caught my eye was the one Tom Techniques came up with. He has the complete plans on his site and build vids on YouTube so I won’t even bore you with my build. But it was not my first build but my first build by plans. I usually just shoot from the hip as my projects are not this involved but the major thing it pointed out was I usually don‘t treat all dimensions as critical, only usually where a specific fit is involved. And it showed :frown:. So lesson learned along with many other challenges. I found his plans wonderful to work by and the knurler is such an improvement over the bump knurler it’s not funny. I used to hear all kinds of noise with the bump knurler where with this on all I hear is the wheels working. Two thumbs way up.

Attachments

• E94FE78D-101D-4E90-A739-66631E24CC1F.jpeg
    E94FE78D-101D-4E90-A739-66631E24CC1F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 186
  • E9A40941-C662-4F66-B8E8-57823A014E20.jpeg
    E9A40941-C662-4F66-B8E8-57823A014E20.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • 3AA2B3FA-B3A1-4B37-9BCE-68CA2AAB4FFF.jpeg
    3AA2B3FA-B3A1-4B37-9BCE-68CA2AAB4FFF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
  • 2E27CAE2-EDF4-450A-A0F4-DC38E4A5D5B0.jpeg
    2E27CAE2-EDF4-450A-A0F4-DC38E4A5D5B0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 207
Very nice work! That's interesting, I've never seen a knurler design like that.

Neither had I. I think I was looking through YouTube’s and bumbled on it. And after looking at Tom’s site and looking at his vid’s I just liked the idea.

The one minor drawback is it uses 5/8OD, 1/4W, 1/4 ID knurler wheels. They don’t seem as common as other dimensions. Slowly snagging wheels off eBay as they pop up. The most frustrating part is the silly people who are selling these things on eBay either don’t have a clue so they just give model #’s but no dimensions or even worse is this guy who puts them next to an old wood ruler, and doesn’t even bother to put them close to a line. :mad:

Wow, I like this design far better than the B&S turret types, since it has a much larger range and easier access to the work. This one looks like it is easy to use, and the forces are contained by the frame, unlike a push-type or scissor knurler. Cool tool, @C-Bag!

Wow, I like this design far better than the B&S turret types, since it has a much larger range and easier access to the work. This one looks like it is easy to use, and the forces are contained by the frame, unlike a push-type or scissor knurler. Cool tool, @C-Bag!
Isn’t it funny how you just look at some design and it clicks. I can’t remember where Tom said he got his inspiration but bless his heart and all his vital organs for not only coming up with it, and doing the plans, but putting them on his website for free!

Interesting design.
In use it looks like there's four SHCS's to adjust? Two for each knurl assembly?

The two outside adjust pressure and the two on top are locks I guess. I use a 1/4” wrench I cut off short for something so I can get to the back pressure screw and the opposite one. The upper I just finger tighten. Was way less strain on the little 9x20 over the bump type. Done in a flash too.

As a side note...what ever happened to Tom? His videos just stopped three years ago.

As a side note...what ever happened to Tom? His videos just stopped three years ago.
Wow, dunno. I hadn’t notice that side of it. How I got onto him was the random search of knurlers on YouTube and this guy was doing a long run using this style and mentioned it was Tom’s design.

Back