Tom’s Techniques knurler

I made one following his directions but with wider material (1”) to use the larger knurling wheels. Only minor modifications to original plans. Seems to work well so far.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one following his directions but with wider material (1”) to use the larger knurling wheels. Only minor modifications to original plans. Seems to work well so far.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a lot to learn about knurling, actually everything. It has been bits and pieces I’ve picked up(some of it contradictory) off forums. So not until I was almost done and realized the wheels from my bump knurler wouldn’t work and started looking on eBay did I realize all the different sizes. I had only gotten far enough to know bump knurlers suck for the lathe, doh!

My first and second ever knurl with the bump knurler was new knobs for my angle finders as the both came with wing nuts. Stupid wing nuts were too big and always in the way. The knobs fit perfect and never interfere. Why they don’t come that way is beyond me.

Attachments

• CB39F06C-7339-4F78-97BA-84ECE4D30C3B.jpeg
    CB39F06C-7339-4F78-97BA-84ECE4D30C3B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 116

John

Tony:
Very nice job on your clamp-knurler!

Like John I made a couple of knurl holders to accommodate larger, more widely available, 3/4"D x 3/8" wheels. Might give you additional flexibility over your EB score.

Here's a side by side photo of the holders (which appear in front of my relatively crudely built "Tom Knurler").
Bill

p.s., Mr. Griffin gives an update as to his whereabouts on the lower portion of the cover page to his website

Tom's Knurler.jpg

in front of my relatively crudely built "Tom Knurler"
??? Relative to what? Looks as good as mine that for sure Bill. Do you use the larger wheels more than the originals?

Reactions: tjb
the only thing I added was 4-40 set screws on the wheel axels. Just didn’t want them falling out at the wrong time. Probably overkill, but I’d gotten them along with homemade wrenches so why not? I doubt I will ever find a use for them anyplace else.

it has been somewhat surprising I was not the very last person to ever find out about this design and that it’s found some new fans.

??? Relative to what? Looks as good as mine that for sure Bill. Do you use the larger wheels more than the originals?
Tony: Yes, I use the larger wheels more often -- mostly because the Atlas lathe I bought came with 10 pairs of the larger wheels, plus I got another two pairs from the bump style knurlers that came with my QCTP sets. Bill
Knurling Wheels.jpg

Tony: Yes, I use the larger wheels more often -- mostly because the Atlas lathe I bought came with 10 pairs of the larger wheels, plus I got another two pairs from the bump style knurlers that came with my QCTP sets. Bill
View attachment 333660
Very compelling reasons Bill :) it was part ignorance, part convenience why I went with the 5/8x1/4x1/4. I only had the one set of 3/4x3/8x1/4 From the bump knurler and found the 5/8 on eBay right away. Like I said, I know very little about proper knurling technique. I’ve read that you have to use specific wheel for different work diameters. A guy even came up with an ap that would spit out the proper wheel. Then I’ve heard other say it’s not true. The first knurler with brass knobs was fairly easy and came out fine. I’ve also read don’t oil, and to oil. But I guess it depends on the type of wheel, oy vey! Makes my head hurt.....

Another thing I thought of Bill. I forgot the first wheel holders I made a mistake on the angles on the back. But i think I could make them work to use the bigger wheels kinda like you did.

But did you have to relieve the main body of the knurler for them to fit? The slot is 5/8” so putting a 3/4” wheel will rub if you go to do something to big, right?

Did you shorten the wheel holders for the larger wheels?

But did you have to relieve the main body of the knurler for them to fit? The slot is 5/8” so putting a 3/4” wheel will rub if you go to do something to big, right?

Did you shorten the wheel holders for the larger wheels?
Good questions, Tony. I checked, and it looks like I used a slot cutter to provide clearance in the knurler body for the larger wheels, and that I made the holders for the larger wheels the same length as the original design. HTH, Bill

Knurler Wheel Relief 1.jpgKnurler Wheel Relief 2.jpg

Back