Too fast or too slow?

So I checked my power feed with a stopwatch and the DRO. It WILL do 30 ipm so the question is would anyone here run their mill table at that speed at any DOC? Am I just wussing out?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
No, you're being practical.

It might seem cool to max out all of your cutting parameters, but I have been doing this professionally for nearly 40yrs and I can assure you, all you would be doing it wasting money in order to save a little time.

Your mill will let you know. I would never consider 3/8 deep slotting in steel at 33 ipm. Too much flex in my light knee mill.

I would happily take a side climb cut 1/2 the cutter diameter and 3/8" deep at 21 ipm with 1750 rpm.

At 1/2 the cutter diameter your primary forces are no longer pulling the material into the cut. The forces are perpendicular to the feed and tapering off to nothing as the edge moves through the cut.
That's pushing it even for a Bridgeport.

With a full blown rigid cnc mill in a production environment on aluminum 30 ipm might be practical as wolves said . In a home shop ? Why ?

My mill runs quiet and smooth on that cut. Definitely some flex. No question.
What mill?

I have an old Steinel that would do this as its much more rigid than a B-port, but the trade off is its not as versatile.

I'd be taking a .250" DOC at around 500 RPM in my big analog mill. Inches per minute? about this much.

2,000+ RPM? No way on my machine. It would bark and sing like a dog.

I'd be taking a .250" DOC at around 500 RPM in my big analog mill. Inches per minute? about this much.

2,000+ RPM? No way on my machine. It would bark and sing like a dog.
The thing I think a lot of the less experienced guys miss are you need to pay attenting to the here and now of what your doing and build up a good "Seat of the pants" skill set so you can adjust your process on the fly if something is not working, be it too slow or too fast.

I would loved to have heard whatever sound was coming off of OPs machine during this.:cower:

No offence OP or to others, we've all been there.

This one is new to me. Made in Germany?
Yessir, Im chock a block with both East and West German machines from before and after the fall of the berlin wall.

Back