Tool marking

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
We just bought all new tools for a grandson's technical college course on precision machining. Although the school has a secure area for tool box storage I would like for him to mark his tools so that he can identify them in a class where everybody has the same or similar tools.

Engraving the tools is an option, but would rather mark them with some kind of tough paint stick / permanent marker. More for the occasion where two students are looking at a 1" micrometer and deciding whose it is.

Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

I would stick with the engraving option. However I would take them to a professional in either a jewelry store trophy shop or something similar

When professionally done your grandson can be proud of them for many years. He may even pass them on to his kids or grandkids.

I have several tools from uncles grandfathers and other relatives that have been professionally engraved. I’m proud to have them and use them on a regular basis.

I would do both, engrave them, AND, I would take spray paint and paint a large area of each tool to be able to spot them from 10 feet away.
it's more important that he have the tools, than they look beautiful. Pink, or Bright fluorescent green.
The bigger the area the easier to spot, and someone can't just rub it off with a fingernail. Yea, they can use acetone or whatever, but that's a little harder to do in class.
Many pros mark their tools with paints. Both are a good idea.

Another option is ordering some custom asset stickers. The link below might be too big for his tools, but they might have something smaller that is durable.

On my tools, I simply scribed my name on a bright surface with a carbide scriber. Perhaps a dab of paint would be a good additional measure. In high school / jr. college classes, I don't think I had much more than an 0-1 mike, a 6" scale, and a hammer and centerpunch. Few of the other students had hardly any of their own tools, as the shop provided most everything, and the teacher kept track of all tools before class let out; Everything had its place, and it had better be in its place!

Back