Tool marking

I put ID's on all my 1/2/3 blocks using a mask made from nail polish and electrolysis in a salt water solution applied with a Q Tip. It was fast and easy to do. I made the artwork using a laser on my CNC mill but it could be done manually by simply scratching the artwork into the mask.

Here's a couple pictures of the engraving done on a 1" micrometer I inherited from one of my wife's uncles. It was used to inspect parts when he was in the Air Force near the end of WWII.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 26
It could very well be a stamping. I was using "engraving" as a generic term as opposed to painting or some other style of identifying the tool..
I agree that someone who can engrave a watch or other delicate items would be able to mark tools easily. There used to be a guy at Sears jewelry department who would engrave all sorts of stuff you could buy there. Also, craftsman tools used to be good. Times have changed….

I’d just get him a vibrating engraver and call it done. Maybe some nail polish in a bright color too.

These are tools and function should be first consideration. Done neatly by hand it’ll last forever and nobody will think less of him.

John

Back