Tool marking

I used to engrave everything. In your grandsons case it can make for an uncomfortable situation checking a tool.

After working on job sites with many having similar tools. I started spray painting everything. You can tell from a distance.
That is a non-engraving, non-dimensional issue. We had a machinist who was good for "borrowing" tools. When he was caught at it the whole shop gave him so much grief he couldn't hold his head up. Wouldn't say beans if you got in his toolbox and went through it.
I hate thieves. Perhaps the boy might embarrass someone so bad they'll change their ways.

Engraving or etching personal info is a positive way of proving ownership. It worked for cattlemen on the open range. Those of you old enough to remember Perry Mason will recall that Lt. Traig always marked his evidence with a scratched personal mark. Paint can be removed without too much difficulty. Removing an etched or engraved proof of ownership requires grinding it away which is obvious.

I picked up a new old stock Luma etch engraver for $50 last year. It's a freehand tool, but really does the job at marking tools. It can be used with masks and electrolyte swabs, too. Unlike ferric chloride etchant, electro can leave marks on chrome, stainless, and tool steels.

Back