Tool Post Holder

Thats exactly who sold me the kit I had enough stock to make 3 holders and ALL the drawings I browse eBay for bargains and I found 3 for sale about 5-6 years ago it was the ¾ boring bar one and the post and the washer for $30.00 another time I bough only the 12 degree left hand holder for $15.00 all the others I made. I didn't know that KRF was out of business so I guess the drawings I have I can now share ??
dgehricke

It looks like a very nice tool post!

I'm very happy with this set up and its cheaper then the Chinese junk and the tool bit size is ⅜ I have loads of blanks and a lot of pre ground bits
this is a win win tool post for me.
dgehricke

Thats exactly who sold me the kit I had enough stock to make 3 holders and ALL the drawings I browse eBay for bargains and I found 3 for sale about 5-6 years ago it was the ¾ boring bar one and the post and the washer for $30.00 another time I bough only the 12 degree left hand holder for $15.00 all the others I made. I didn't know that KRF was out of business so I guess the drawings I have I can now share ??
dgehricke

Yes, I would think sharing them would be no problem.

Do you use the indexing plate? I stopped using mine because I frequently needed a position between the index indents. I now have one index indent for parting off only. Add a handle like in post #97 to avoid using a wrench. For lighter cuts, you can make these with thinner material (3/8") and weld on a piece to hold the toolbit, also pictured in post #97

Last edited:
I do use the indexing washer if I have an alignment problem I loosen the bolt that secures the post make adjustments and I'm off to the races.
Who can I check with about the drawings I sure don't need legal problems and this site don't need problems either.
Who's uncharge of the downloads I'll send the drawings to that person that way there's no problem later or any finger pointing.
dgehricke

My post was slipping during knurling ops so I added a removable 1/2" pin. I still need to be able to rotate it to align the parting tool to the index indent.

IMG_20190624_182311024.jpg

Good idea my post is hardened and drilling a hole with out carbide drills would assure that I will screw it up.Best left undone.
dgehricke

Hardening may only be a few thou deep, break thru that with carbide drill or end mill and you should be able to drill the rest with HSS or just try with HSS, it may not be too hard. You could also make another post.

I am planning to make tool holders of this style. Thanks @mickri for posting the full PDF scans of the article in the original post.

What tool would you use to cut the 45* bevel shown on the rear-left of the tool holder bodies (top-left image)? I pictured using an end mill with a 45" cut and a flat bottom cut, sort of an inverse-dovetail cutter. But I'm not seeing these on McMaster.

I'm also considering flipping the design when applied to boring bar-type holders, so that the cutout, the height-adjusting screw, and the body-tightening bolt are all on the right-side of the tool post rather than the left. This in my theory provides the benefit of allowing me to use my right hand to tighten and loosen the body-tightening bolt. Because I plan to add indexing detents to base, I don't foresee a complex 2-handed operation to install the tool holder.

Am I missing anything in making that change?

Thanks!

1611810561355.png

Back