Tool recommendation needed

better-lathe-than-never

Registered
Registered
Posting here because it's for my Asian Mill (like Rong Fu), which came with very little tooling: vice and a single R8 collet.

I want to get a Face mill with carbide inserts - thinking of 2-2.5 or 3'' with 4 or 5 flute milling head something like this Shars R8 shank head:
1662913510221.png

The shell mills are nice, but I'd have to buy they don't come with shanks and I don't wanna get a wrong one. So many choices.... my head is spinning from just searching their catalog. Is this a good one to get to start with?

Last edited:
I'd go with a mill style that has 90 degree cutting edges for more versatility. Your Rong Fu mill will handle up to 3" face cutters with grace.

If it's for a mill on the small side, a cutter that uses seht inserts (45deg angle) will work very well. Super free cutting and cheap as chips

If you plan on only doing facing, then I would recommend a face mill with a 45 degree insert with a positive rake and one that takes standard inserts. The issue with some of the lower cost face mills purchased from Shar's has been the pockets/inserts do not all sit at the same height and you get a poor finish. Also their inserts tend to be a bit oddball. Glacern has the FM45 face mill either w/o or with an integral R8 arbor. Facemills w/o and arbor will tell you which arbor size to use, or just call them and they will provide you with one that fits. If you have a smaller mill I would stay in the 2.5" range, if you have a full size knee type mill you can get buy with a 4" face mill as described. Other types of face mills that have neutral or negative rake pockets require more Hp. Haas also has a nice range of face mills that a number of members use, I have their HS6NPin a 2.5" and use it in a wide range of materials and get very nice finish. I went with this insert style so I can also use it for shouldering up to 0.3" DOC. If just surfacing in lighter materials then you might also look at the HSPP which is a positive rake with a positive cutting insert. Each of the Haas face mills tells you the pilot bore size and that is the size shell mill R8 arbor you need. Others have posted one from Aliexpress which are far less costly, some have had good experience others not so.

FM45-250T 2.5" face mill plus R8-FM100 arbor (1" face mill hole)
OR
R8-FM45-250 Integral R8 Shank Facemill - 2.5in
and you need the inserts.

R8-FM45-250 Integral R8 Shank Facemill - 2.5in
and you need the inserts.
This looks good, but the inserts on that page start at $149 a pack.... what is the Insert Type that these FM45 milling heads take so I can look on eBay, etc for other options.

There's the other end of the spectrum that @MrWhoopee bought like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255799996995364.html
50mm facemill with box of "SEKT" inserts for $29.30 including shipping. You will need to source an R8 arbor. I found one for $17. Of course the inserts are fakes, but if they work, is that sufficient?

I have no direct experience with this, but I did order the face mill, because I need something. Hoping to receive all the pieces within the next week and a half.

I have been using this one on a PM30MV mill for about 3 years. Toss up between getting a better finish with this or fly cutter. I usually use this because it is faster set up and I can take more off at a pass. Most times the finish looks like a mirror. On second side of inserts. I have cut mystery steel with it that throws sparks. That is why I bought it. The flycutter was dulling in mid-cut. Just bought spare inserts for around $10 each. From memory it takes TPG or TPU inserts which are readily available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3502684148...k9XX2t4U3r7hx0E9jNMsQbF4Y=|tkp:Bk9SR-7O1-XlYA

I use it on all of the steels and aluminum. Make sure that the mill is properly trammed so you don't dish out the center. You will have that with what ever you buy.

There's the other end of the spectrum that @MrWhoopee bought like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255799996995364.html
50mm facemill with box of "SEKT" inserts for $29.30 including shipping. You will need to source an R8 arbor. I found one for $17. Of course the inserts are fakes, but if they work, is that sufficient?

I have no direct experience with this, but I did order the face mill, because I need something. Hoping to receive all the pieces within the next week and a half.
that's what I have, but with alu specific inserts (SEHT?). Works fabulously on alu and really well on steel, albeit with shorter insert life. Not super concerned about that as the inserts are so cheap ($1.50 each or so, with 4 corners).

That cutter takes an R8-FMB22 shank. Just be sure the R8 has 7/16 threads, not 12mm.

Back