Tool recommendation needed

Good picture. That is what mine looks like.

Do I understand this right: SEHW inserts for steel and SEHT types for aluminum?! Is there a universal one that works well on both?

I have had no problems with the face mill that I bought. I chose a (Taiwanese made) integral shank R8 face mill. The PN is R8-FM45-300 from this page:

The inserts I chose are the Kennemetal ones, PN SEHW43-KC510M on the same page. The Kennametal inserts are expensive, to be sure, but so far they appear to be indestructible.

I mostly machine mild steel.

This face mill really throws off hot, sharp chips! Very exciting; I am seriously thinking about getting a Captain America-type shield to protect my neck, arms & face.

SEHT for Aluminum (and steel), SEKT for Steel.
The third letter designates tolerance.

Tolerance (e.g. "CNMG432" / "CCMT32.51") (close window)

Code Letter
Cornerpoint
(inches)
Thickness
(inches)
Inscribed
Circle (in)
Cornerpoint
(mm)
Thickness
(mm)
Inscribed
Circle (mm)
A​
.0002".001".001".005mm.025mm.025mm
C​
.0005".001".001".013mm.025mm.025mm
E​
.001".001".001".025mm.025mm.025mm
F​
.0002".001".0005".005mm.025mm.013mm
G​
.001".005".001".025mm.13mm.025mm
H​
.0005".001".0005".013mm.025mm.013mm
J​
.002".001".002-.005".005mm.025mm.05-.13mm
K​
.0005".001".002-.005".013mm.025mm.05-.13mm
L​
.001".001".002-.005".025mm.025mm.05-.13mm
M​
.002-.005".005".002-.005".05-.13mm.13mm.05-.15mm
U​
.005-.012".005".005-.010".06-.25mm.13mm.08-.25mm

I've got a 2 1/2" integral R8 shank that will cut square corners. The draw back is I only get two cutting edges on that type of insert. I wouldn't do that again. I use inserts designed for Aluminum. But I have also cut mild steel just fine. It is a lot faster to use than a fly cutter. It does throw chips but not as bad a a fly cutter. I like it.

Unfortunately inserts are designed for cutting different materials, but there are some that will cover a wider range of metals. The inserts are not cheap, but can last a very long time. I have tried generic inserts in the past, and they just didn't last. The face mill inserts can be quite pricey and it is not uncommon for a manufacturer to have proprietary types. That being said, my 4" Iscar face mill uses 8 side inserts, so one box should last me many years. Also newer insert designs often have more cutting points and also some can be flipped, so my Haas HS6NP has three cutting positions on each side for a total of 6 cutting edges. I opted for an insert which is rated for steel and stainless steel, the latter usually requires a bit more positive rake and a sharper insert, it also works well in aluminum with a bit of lubricant. The ideally insert for aluminum is polished carbide with a sharp ground positive rake edge.

In years past I was able to pick up several new/lightly used current style face mills on eBay and about 1/4 their list price, but less common these days. This assumes you know what you are looking for, understand all the designations and types, and the inserts are still available at a reasonably price. I tend to use my tools for many years so I can justify spending a bit more and not having to replace it probably in my lifetime. So an insert price might seem expensive, but equate that over many years of use in a non-production environment it is more reasonable. Many of the face mills have similar profiles and use the same style of inserts, other than the ones coming through Aliexpress most of ones purchased in the US are pretty close in price. Some of these may also be made in China but too different tolerances/quality levels. I machine my parts once with the face mill, so the finish is important and saves addition work/time if I need to deal with the imperfections. Below is some parts that I just completed in 7075 and 6061, using a FM45 type of face mill or the Haas mentioned, other than light buffing the finish is that of the face mill.
Micrometer stop with proximity stop and chip shield.jpg

You might find the attached worthwhile. On your sized mill I would stick with 2 or 2.5" diameter face mill or smaller. If you want a larger diameter, then I would suggest using a fly cutter instead. My comments are based on 20 years experience using and RF-45 (the read one, not a clone).

Attachments

• Face Mill Recommendations.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
I went with this for my Grizzly g0704:

Surface finish like glass, but it threw glowing hot jagged spirals all over my shop, and all over my dog's new $75 orthopedic memory foam bed. I also had to replace the sacrificial plastic drive gear three times in the course of that project.

I have no idea what a Rong Fu is, but unless it's at least 50% more beefy than a Grizzly g0704, then I recommend you stick with fly cutters. They also deliver a near mirror polish for one 232,573th less fuss and muss, although it takes about six times as long to traverse the surface.

If your Rong Fu is a giant El Bigass™ Super Strong™ Awome™ Super Power™ Mill From Outer Space™, then kindly forgive me for being a whiny pessimist, and please take me to your Rong Fu leader!

Back