Tool recommendation needed

I've got a 2 1/2" integral R8 shank that will cut square corners. The draw back is I only get two cutting edges on that type of insert. I wouldn't do that again. I use inserts designed for Aluminum. But I have also cut mild steel just fine. It is a lot faster to than a fly cutter. It does throw chips but not as bad a a fly cutter. I like it.
Those are APKT or APMT inserts. I bought one of those in a 2 in. cutter with the FMB22 R8 shank. Didn't care for it that much. Fine in aluminum, less so in steel. It may have been the inserts.

I have no idea what a Rong Fu is, but unless it's at least 50% more beefy than a Grizzly g0704, then I recommend you stick with fly cutters. They also deliver a near mirror polish for one 232,573th less fuss and muss, although it takes about six times as long to traverse the surface.

If your Rong Fu is a giant El Bigass™ Super Strong™ Awome™ Super Power™ Mill From Outer Space™, then kindly forgive me for being a whiny pessimist, and please take me to your Rong Fu leader!
Your Rong Fu leader is attached. It's a lot more rigid that you might think.

Attachments

• Benchtop_versus_Compact_Knee_Mill_12-2021.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
I didn't realize they made mills with plastic gears. Is that common?
I consider it a useful feature of the g0704 that one of the gears in the drive train is plastic. When I was pushing that big face mill across a piece of old railroad track, I kept encountering "tough patches" in the steel. Work hardened by the action of wheels rolling over the rail, I imagine. I was trying to be careful, but I kept crashing it. My mill just didn't have enough power to push that big face mill through that gnarly piece of track. It was a stupid project, but I was stubborn, and I plowed through.

If it hadn't been for those sacrificial plastic gears, who knows what I would have broken instead. Something a lot more expensive, I imagine.

I consider it a useful feature of the g0704 that one of the gears in the drive train is plastic. When I was pushing that big face mill across a piece of old railroad track, I kept encountering "tough patches" in the steel. Work hardened by the action of wheels rolling over the rail, I imagine. I was trying to be careful, but I kept crashing it. My mill just didn't have enough power to push that big face mill through that gnarly piece of track. It was a stupid project, but I was stubborn, and I plowed through.

If it hadn't been for those sacrificial plastic gears, who knows what I would have broken instead. Something a lot more expensive, I imagine.
A man has got to know his machines limitations...........

Your Rong Fu leader is attached. It's a lot more rigid that you might think.
To Rong Fu, thanks for everything! Love, Julie Newmar. :D

If you can push one of those without running into stupid problems like I did, you're going to be super happy with the results. I guess I'll slap myself in the forehead, and say, "I could have had a Rong Fu!" :p

Finally a question that I can answer….

I know!! This! And yes, same setup…machining a piece of railroad track! Machining the top with a face mill…

Grizzly P0704081 - CIRCUIT BOARD CESX 1101-28​

C0266619-69AB-4C1C-A3A4-CC5634ED22E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally a question that I can answer….
You blew the circuit board? Ouch. I ate two sacrificial gears plus a set of carbide inserts. The funny thing is once I had milled the thing, I never actually used it for anything, and I gave it to a buddy for free. I have a 50kg Kanca anvil.

I don't understand this photo
1663092074455.png
. The colored area where the wheels run appears to be added on or has it just been colored manually?

Back