Toolmakers microscope ?

At my previous job the manual microscopes were being replaced with the USB models that hook to a computer or ipad. I never really mastered them but they are really cheap and versatile. And I would have to have a PC in the shop to use it. Bad environment for the PC and me having one near me.

In my city a toolmakers microscope has come available (coincidence? I think so) The seller knows how scarce they are, and probably paid a *lot* to get it in the first place. With limited accessories, but still complete, he wants 700$ for it. Fair, but out of my range. I'm reluctant to give him a counteroffer. He is a part of our local machinist community, and I have a very strong feeling a counteroffer will not be accepted gracefully, nor do I have an elegant way to describe what I can afford.

*sigh* one day, perhaps!

Where does the usefulness end for an optical comparator vs. where it begins for a microscope? Is it a measuring tool, or a way of gauging the surface? Just curious, I've never used a microscope in the shop. I have magnifier goggles and a magnifying desk lamp, I understand the benefits of getting up close, but what is the utility of the scope? How much magnification? Is it 4x like a dissecting scope, or more powerful than that?

Funny we do not have “toolmakers microscope” any where in the shop.

We use these. The Keyense are fast once the measurements are programmed.

E92CA488-F5CB-4E82-A7DC-E5DC92F894F8.jpeg
We use Mitutoyo scopes and need more!

E32B2C62-FFA9-44A2-AA24-F01EC09C7D29.jpeg

These binoculer scopes are easy to find and they are used by about half the employees daily.
B04F2F30-8836-401E-AEA7-B7892B693759.jpeg

In my city a toolmakers microscope has come available (coincidence? I think so) The seller knows how scarce they are, and probably paid a *lot* to get it in the first place. With limited accessories, but still complete, he wants 700$ for it. Fair, but out of my range. I'm reluctant to give him a counteroffer. He is a part of our local machinist community, and I have a very strong feeling a counteroffer will not be accepted gracefully, nor do I have an elegant way to describe what I can afford.

*sigh* one day, perhaps!
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve become aware of something through a thread here on H-M and it shows up on CL local. I’ve used my virtual vulture tactic of wait and see many times. Since I’m not a haggler I have to wait and if it goes away it was not meant to be. This has sometimes taken decades but it’s also crazy how the expensive stuff goes away only to be replaced by something better and always cheaper. Patience is the virtual vulture virtue. I mean how many times have you bought something because you just WANTED it only to have another show up soon after you bought it for way less.

Maybe it just me but buyer’s remorse is a painful lesson for a cheapskate like myself.

Sorry please forgive my bad memory! As I said it is a fair price considering all the factors. I did not mean to offend.

I'd give my right unmentionable for a toolmaker's microscope! Sub millisecond "YES" followed by a mad dash with it to the car!
Well I wish I would've known this . I have 3 Nikons at home sitting there doing nothing . Mill Lee Farm picked up one from me a while back . I'll have to post a pick of the 3 left when I get home . I know one has a camera that connects to a phone or computer . Whatever , they'll be very cheap as I don't need them . I believe Mill Lee gave me $80 for the one if I remember correctly . :dunno:

Back