Toolpost tantrum

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Well not a tantrum but I wanted the alliteration :)

So I rise early, the temperature has warmed up so I can work in my barely heated garage. I set up to measure the toolpost slot, the toolpost blank and all is good.

I set out to cut to width using a hacksaw. 6,318 strokes later it’s cut to width.

Next task is to mark the cutout to fit the ‘T’. One side all marked. 5,189 strokes later (new blade you see) and one side is cut.

Next up, mark the other side. Measure, mark, carefully snug it in my vice and cut.

Dang it! I cut the wrong side!!!

A short period of self-loathing occurs.

Deep breath, how to rectify this?

Hello Mr MIG!

So I lay down some molten metal, walk over to the grinder and carve away much of the fresh metal.

Time to break out the files. File, file, file, sneaking up on a nice fit.

Sigh. No pics but I’ll add some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One great thing about foundry work is you get to melt all your mistakes. The rest of us have to suffer the embarrassment. If I had a beer for all the times I marked or cut the wrong side, it wou;ld take me a week to sober up.

David,
Something like that happens to me more than I want to admit.
The ONLY way it is really a loss is if you do the same again tomorrow.

Besides, as I am fond of saying..........."A bad day in the shop is still better than a good day at work!"

-brino

Hah! I never really looked at the logo before now. Indeed I am a suit and tie guy. Biceps indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rough cut my holder blank with a 4½" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, then finished on a 6x48" belt sander.

Back