Toolpost tantrum

I decided a bandsaw was in order when I made the extra tool holders for my tool post. They were 1" x 3" steel and I cut the 5 pieces by hand with a hack saw. I didn't count strokes but each one took about 45 minutes and I went through 3 blades.

My second batch the band saw went through in less than 45 minutes total and I am still using the blade I used on them.

I labored over the toolpost nut with a hacksaw as well but that was only 10mm thick or so. Turning it down to correct thickness went a lot faster than cutting it to width.

I’m in a chicken/egg situation; I have a 4-jaw but need the toolpost to machine it’s backing plate.
I could use the lantern post but I don’t have any 1/4” HSS blanks nor does my local tool store.
So it was sawing for me.
In cruel irony I could have used my angle grinder to make the cuts, but I didn’t trust myself to make an accurate cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s jobs like this that have me looking at mills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i made all my mistakes long ago,
so many mistakes that i ran out of mistakes and started borrowing other's mistakes for good measure! :grin big:

now, i make proactive reconciliation production adjustments, instead of mistakes :grin:

Back