Tools to simplify threading

Whos knows how to make an article? I think this is worthy!

Dan, done deal. This thread has been posted as an article.

Jim, I always look forward to your projects and posts, as they are so well done, this thread being no exception. I also thought that it was done well enough to warrant it becoming an article, and I have promoted it to that level. I hope that you do not mind.

Terry thank you for the kind words. Not sure what an article is versus a post but I leave that to you.

Regards,
Jim

You are most welcome, Jim.

Articles are write-ups that are 'show cased' in a separate part of the site. If you go up to the buttons bar near the top of the page, locate the 'Articles' button and click on it. Just below it you can click on 'New Articles' to see the new articles that you have not read, or you can use the section submenu on the left side of the page to drill down and pull up articles. This thread has been promoted to an article under "Threading on the lathe" section. Here is a shortcut: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/content.php/154-threading-on-the-lathe

This is a wonderfully written article with a tremendous amount of information that is very helpful to a newbie like myself.
Your work is simply beautiful. You must have been a master machinist and engineer in atleast this lifetime.
I just came across this thread, and am amazed!
Thank You,
Jon
ps: I had to learn to thread on my emco maeir lathe with out any threading dial.
Once I got my Logan lathe, it was easy with the dial. Still used HSS, mainly because I wanted to learn to grind profiles.
Now only carbide, my first buy was Mesa.
Thanks Again for being part of this forum.
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info! as always. I sure like all the detailed instructions.

Thanks Jim for the very informative post. I will be putting that on my to do list. Very well written.

Let me add a correction to diagram #2. As navycut points out the depth of the bore cannot be 1.450" since the material is only 1.250" thick. The depth of bore should be 1.200". Thanks navycut for pointing out the error.

Retract main body.jpg

Corrected diagram #2.

Retract main body.jpg

Jim, I applied the updated drawing to the article that was created from this thread, so it is now correct as well.

Terry, another error has been pointed out to me and when trying to upload a replacement drawing I get an error and no drawing. Is there something going on that would cause this? The error is an exclamation point next to the drawing in the upload box. The drawing is .jpg file and is <50kB in size. Yesterday everything worked but today something has changed. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Jim

There were some problems on the server itself late yesterday and overnight, and it has now been corrected, but apparently it has affected the uploading of photos. I just tried a test here myself, with no luck. I will report it to the right people so they can get to work on it.

UPDATE: The problem has been fixed and tested, photo uploads are now working correctly again. Once you have the new pic uploaded, I will again update the article for you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back