Tools to simplify threading

Jim,I have finished the retractor but I have not tested on threading yet.I am still tweaking the adjustments but it seem to function as it should.I machined the 8mm leadscrew but I intend to do the 25tpi now that I can use the retractor.I want to thank you again for all your work in putting all of this together.

RLP

Congratulations navycut, I believe you will find the retractor a most useful addition to your lathe. For internal threading you may want to try the reverse tool approach. By inverting the tool bit (very easy with the Mesa threading tool) and cutting the thread on the far wall of the bore the retractor and the feed work just as it does on the external threading.

Jimmy, you should not fear threading towards the chuck unless you are running at a high RPM. If you thread at 100RPM or so your reaction time to disengage the half-nuts should work well and leave you a margin of error. Here are two videos that may help you regain some confidence. The first video demonstrates the use of a dog clutch to control the threading stops similar in function to the Hardinge and other tool room lathes. The second was posted as part of this article shows the usefulness of a retractor to control the carriage during threading.

https://vimeo.com/84476330
https://vimeo.com/86786262

Thank you for the feedback,

Jim

Tap... Be sensible, Tap has its role to simplify threading

- - - Updated - - -

Die... Die has its role to simplify threading.

- - - Updated - - -

Just stating the obvious. USE the tap or die as needed. If it makes more sense, makes you money... use them.

The "Purist" might say "Single point it" but the extra hours to do that costs money. If retired/hobby lathe and have all month to make one piece is different than putting out quality 10k parts to sell.

Stating the obvious again, need to know where the part is going..

Outstanding from the word. Go. Seems like a build from a Hardinge Lathe. Thanks for the share.

Jim,I have finished the retractor but I have not tested on threading yet.I am still tweaking the adjustments but it seem to function as it should.I machined the 8mm leadscrew but I intend to do the 25tpi now that I can use the retractor.I want to thank you again for all your work in putting all of this together.

RLP
Are you cutting inch or mm on inch or mm lathe?

Cutting threads is not hard till go on to internet

Dave

FWIW, this thread was started in 2014 and the OP, JimSchroeder, hasn't been seen on H-M since 2020.

Tom

Back