Tools to simplify threading

Yet another error has crept into my drawings. The original drawing called for a bore diameter of 0.550" for the eccentric bushing when in fact the bore for bushing itself should be 0.750". The following drawing is corrected. Sorry for the confusion.

D1 Retract main body front view.jpg
Diagram #1 - Front view of the main body.

Regards,
Jim

D1 Retract main body front view.jpg

Thanks again Jim,I,m waiting for some 4-40& 8-32 screws to complete the project.

This is one of the most useful types of articles that can be written here. Thank you for the info!!

I'm lucky my Hardinge has a built in retractor,but my 16" lathe does not.

I need a retractor are they for sale somewhere I really do not have the time and equipment to build one

Jim your machine work and drawings excellent. This is a very useful addition to anyone's lathe.

Hello JT, I am afraid that a retractor is not an optional part. Each lathe is different and the only way to fit one to your lathe and be assured of its performance is to custom make them. The principals are easily scalable and hence easily adapted. I have often considered obtaining another and probably larger lathe but then I think about all of the updates that I would have to make so that functionally it matched what I have now.

Regards,
Jim

Top drawer in all aspects. Thanks for taking the time to share this and your other projects. I am curious how you settled on that style threading tool?

A most useful group of tools and excellent work in their manufacture.
I can see where the retraction would be excellent when cutting metric threads and the half nut must remain engaged.
Thank you for such useful projects and for showing your excellent work.

As a nubie, I understand the apprehension of someone threading for the first time. My fear was the fact that I was always feeding toward a stop or a chuck jaw. I found a threading tool from Aloris that allows you to feed away from the chuck while threading. It requires you to turn the part in reverse, which may not be an option for those with screw-on chucks, but this gave me a little more courage knowing that I was not going to crash into the chuck if something went wrong.

Jimmy

I'll add my thanks for this thead, nicely written up, although my lathe has a cross-slide quick-retract built in at the factory - my only criticism would be that the top-slide retractor covering the calibrations makes it difficult to use on internal threads with the tool "right way up" when you want to retract towards the centre?

Jimmy, threading towards the chuck's always a bit of a worry, even years down the line - one of those 110% concentration, butt-clenching moments UNLESS you're lucky enough to have a "proper" toolroom lathe with threading stops and such (Hardinge, Hendey, Holbrook, P&W - the several-ton 13x30s etc!).

Back