tramming tool

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
question. im wanting to use the tramming to to set the degree of angle on my compound so i can machine morse tapers. my question is does the indicators have to be spaced the same length as my taper. i will be putting the tramming tool in my chuck and a peice of flat bar in my tool holder, then i will bring my tool holder up against the tramming jig then by setting the degree of compound to the dimensions of taper [big end small end]:phew:

Irishwoodsman,

The answer to your question is, no the indicators do not have to be spaced the same length as the taper.

However, I think there are better ways to set the compound slide to do Morse tapers.

:drink:
DaveH
my ears are wide open:biggrin:

Irishwoodsman

This is the way I do it. (And lots of others)
:)

Hold the taper in the chuck, this can be a bit tricky because it is not good to hold the tapered part, some reamers are good with suitable protection.

Make sure it runs true by using a dial gauge.

Mount the dial gauge in the tool holder using a suitable clamp.

If you have an “elephants foot” use that on the dial gauge.

Make sure the dial gauge stem is aligned with the centre line of the taper. (Very important)

Adjust the angle of the compound slide a little bit at a time so that when the compound slide is wound in and out the dial gauge reading does no alter.

This way you know your compound slide is set to the angle of the taper.

Easy eh:)

DaveH
the prob with this is it is a short mt 5 and im starting from scratch i have nothing to go by other than measurements

Hi,
Put a good MT arbour between centres (after you set the tail stock up properly) then set the compound to roughly the angle by eyeing it off the arbour.
You can either place a mag base on top of the compound with the indicator touching the arbour, or set up the dial indicator on your tool post with some sort of mount, and have it touching the arbour.
Then run the compound backward and forward and adjust the compound so the dial indicator reading stays in on spot.
Once this is done you are ready to go and make as many as you want.

I usually blue up the first one to check to see if it's spot on with a good female arbour. A permanent marker will do the job as well, just colour the newly made arbour in with the marker, them slip the female arbour onto it and turn it 1/2 turn, then check to see where it's touching by where the marker is missing. If it has removed it on both end, you are good to go.
If it's for your tailstock, you can take the quill out and check it with that as the female arbour.

Dave

Hi,
Put a good MT arbour between centres (after you set the tail stock up properly) then set the compound to roughly the angle by eyeing it off the arbour.
You can either place a mag base on top of the compound with the indicator touching the arbour, or set up the dial indicator on your tool post with some sort of mount, and have it touching the arbour.
Then run the compound backward and forward and adjust the compound so the dial indicator reading stays in on spot.
Once this is done you are ready to go and make as many as you want.

I usually blue up the first one to check to see if it's spot on with a good female arbour. A permanent marker will do the job as well, just colour the newly made arbour in with the marker, them slip the female arbour onto it and turn it 1/2 turn, then check to see where it's touching by where the marker is missing. If it has removed it on both end, you are good to go.
If it's for your tailstock, you can take the quill out and check it with that as the female arbour.

Dave
im starting from scratch, trying to machine a short mt5 all i have is the measurements

I think I have seen this question or simular posed on another site, can't for the life of me think where.:headscratch:

Could have a look to see what sugestions came up.

DaveH
i have asked this question a few times on different sites but to no avail thats why i thought the tramming jig would work for me to get it close then finish up with emery cloth, im am still a newbie, ive turned some small break drums with my lathe, made a grinding arbor, a spindle protector but now i'm wanting to make a collet adapter for my lathe and my spindle is a 5 mt short plus it gives experience

Irishwoodsman,

I just thought I saw it, there again I may have just dreamed about it.

So your head stock spindle is 5MT, you could use that to set your compound angle.

DaveH
how do you mean, the hole that goes through the spindle is a short 5 mt

Back