tramming tool

There is no official "short" #5 taper that I am aware of. What are you making?
im makeing a collet holder for my sheldon lathe, the spindle on the inside is a short mt5 its not as long as a reg 5mt if that makes sense, now sense i am a newbie maybe im understanding this wrong, can i cut any length taper i want as long as i do my math right. in other words i need a 5 mt running roughly 2 3/4 long should'nt i be able to set my compound to get me close so i can use a file or emery cloth to finish it out:phew:

The best advise I can offer is to make the taper longer than necessary. A little bit of error on the OD of such a slight taper will make a big difference on the resulting depth (about 20:1). So measure the ID of the spindle nose as close as you can, then make the OD of the taper large enought so you will have plenty sticking out. You can machine the excess off later.
The use of short Morse tapers is fairly common in spindle noses, but Jarno is far more common.

The best advise I can offer is to make the taper longer than necessary. A little bit of error on the OD of such a slight taper will make a big difference on the resulting depth (about 20:1). So measure the ID of the spindle nose as close as you can, then make the OD of the taper large enought so you will have plenty sticking out. You can machine the excess off later.
The use of short Morse tapers is fairly common in spindle noses, but Jarno is far more common.
understand ty much

I expect the reason the taper appears short is that the spindle bore is larger than the standard small end diameter of a #5 taper. 1.4750 is the standard small end diameter. The main thing for accuracy in your collet holder is the taper angle. If you use a test indicator, you can run it in and out of the spindle hole to duplicate the taper, but you must have the contact tip on center. Above or below center will not read the internal taper accurately.

As Dalee said, since this is a low angle taper, the ratio between diameter and linear position is somewhat high. A few thousandths in diameter will make a large change in seating depth. Start off intentionally a little large on the big end, and simply face off to the correct length for your design.

I expect the reason the taper appears short is that the spindle bore is larger than the standard small end diameter of a #5 taper. 1.4750 is the standard small end diameter. The main thing for accuracy in your collet holder is the taper angle. If you use a test indicator, you can run it in and out of the spindle hole to duplicate the taper, but you must have the contact tip on center. Above or below center will not read the internal taper accurately.

As Dalee said, since this is a low angle taper, the ratio between diameter and linear position is somewhat high. A few thousandths in diameter will make a large change in seating depth. Start off intentionally a little large on the big end, and simply face off to the correct length for your design.
yes thank you much, looks like i will be useing some blueing dye to check my fit as i go, planning on starting this tuesday will let everyone know how it turns out:thinking:

Back